Have you ever had creamy white chicken chili? If not, you’ve got to give this recipe a try. It’ll surely satisfy your Fall chili cravings.
There’s nothing like a pleasing, comfort meal and creamy white chicken chili fits right in. I’ve made white chicken chili before, using my daughter Katy’s recipe. This recipe is adapted from a firefighter in Upsala, Minnesota who is a finalist in a national firefighters chili cook-off contest. Garrett Doucette is one of 5 finalists in the America’s Best Firehouse Chili Contest, sponsored by Hormel. Since it is starting to cool down in Minnesota, I knew I had to give his recipe a try.
Garrett is a turkey farmer, so obviously, he uses turkey in his recipe. Fresh chicken is so much easier to find in stores, (especially when it’s not Thanksgiving), so I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The breasts were cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Leftover cooked chicken would work too. Just shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Making the Creamy white chicken chili
Cook the chicken and onion together until the chicken is cooked through which takes 12 to 15 minutes. You can tell when the chicken is done when there’s no pink spots on the meat and clear juices are coming out.
Next, all the ingredients except the cream and sour cream are added and simmered for about 30 minutes. 3 cans of white beans are used, but I mashed the beans of one can as a thickener. If your chili seems a little too thick, add some more chicken broth.
After 30 minutes, remove the pot from the stove and stir in the sour cream to combine, then add the heavy cream. Serve the creamy white chicken chili hot and garnish with shredded cheese, tortilla strips, and maybe some sliced jalapeno pepper. A few splashes of hot sauce are good in this too. I used Gringo Bandito hot sauce…my new favorite.
With cooler weather coming, this white chicken chili will hit the spot. Let me know how you like it. Joe x
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, boneless, skinless, diced to 1/2 inch pieces (3 breasts)
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, (I used Better then Bouillon, chicken base)
- 3 15 oz cans Great northern beans, rinsed, 1 can mashed
- 2 4.5 oz. cans chopped green chilis
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- In a dutch oven or stock pot, add the oil, chopped onion and chicken pieces and cook on medium heat 12 to 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and not pink,
- Next, add all other ingredients except the cream and sour cream, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream to combine, then add the heavy cream. Serve hot with garnish of your choice, (cheese, tortilla or corn chips, jalapeno pepper)