Chicken Yucatan is a baked chicken, doused with citrus and hot sauce to infuse flavors into the chicken.
Ingredients for Yucatan Chicken
This Yucatan recipe is basically some citrus and spices for some heat. I’ve seen recipes that use dried peppers, fresh peppers, and even bananas.
You know I like to keep things simple so there’s really no special preparation methods here. The ingredients for this recipe:
- Chicken thighs – bone-in and I removed the excess fat and the skin. You may keep it on if you like.
- Orange juice – fresh squeezed is best
- Pineapple juice – unsweetened from a can
- Lime juice – fresh
- Oregano, cumin, chili powder – spices that are normally on hand
- Garlic clove – minced
- Hot sauce – I used Tabasco
- Salt and pepper – a little of each
- Olive oil –
Preparing and Baking the Chicken
The liquids and spices are mixed together and I used my small Kitchen Aid food processor (*ad) for this. Just a few pulses will get everything incorporated and the garlic finely minced.
Some recipes have you marinate the chicken for up to overnight in citrus and oil marinate. If time permits, you could place the chicken into a sealable plastic bag along with the citrus and spices. Doing this refrigerated for 1 or 2 hours would be fine.
The chicken is then put into a baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with cooking oil. Brush the chicken with the citrus/herb mixture and place in the preheated oven.
This is really easy and requires just a little attention during the baking process. Every 7 or 8 minutes you baste or brush the chicken with the liquid spices. Your chicken is absorbing those citrus juices and spices and will taste great in 45 minutes.
Use an instant-read thermometer to check the chicken. It should reach an internal temperature of at least 160° F. Then remove the chicken from the oven and put it on a serving plate and cover it with foil for at least 5 minutes. This will allow the chicken to relax and the juices to settle. This will create a more tender and juicy piece of chicken.
The Yucatan chicken goes really well with Caribbean beans and rice. Give it a try.
The printable recipe card is below.
Here are some more tasty Chicken recipes to try:
- Grilled Herb Crusted Chicken Breast
- Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts
- Creamy Chicken Pasta with Mushrooms
- Stove-top Italian Chicken
- Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp tabasco or more if desired
- 6 bone in chicken thighs , skin and excess fat removed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a food processor, combine fruit juices,oregano, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt ,and tabasco. Pulse several times to mix everything together.
- Put chicken in a baking dish lightly sprayed with cooking oil. Brush the chicken with citrus herb mixture and put in the oven.
- Roast chicken for 40 to 45 minutes, basting or brushing every 7 or 8 minutes, turn the chicken over after 20 minutes.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to the check chicken. Remove the chicken from the oven once the internal temperature reaches at least 160° F.
- Place the chicken onto a serving plate and tent with foil for at least 5 minutes to allow the juices to settle.
- Season with salt and pepper then serve hot.
- Store leftover chicken covered in your refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- The chicken can also be placed in a sealable plastic bag and marinated with the citrus and spice mixture, refrigerated for 1 or 2 hours if desired.