Rice is a side dish that goes with so many savory entrees. And when you are having an Asian-inspired meal, this oriental rice recipe is just the thing to make. It’s an easy recipe with spicy Asian rice flavors and takes under 30 minutes to prepare.
The rice has a chili pepper kick to it and it uses some of the same spices that I use in my Bang Bang Shrimp recipe.
Ingredients Needed For The Oriental Sauce
- Chili Garlic Sauce Huy Fong Foods brand is widely available. This is the company that makes the green-capped sriracha sauce with a rooster. This is what gives this Asian white rice recipe it’s spicy heat.
- Sesame Oil Be sure that you have toasted sesame oil. It has a nutty flavor and is dark in color. Plain sesame oil is nearly colorless with no flavor or scent and has a high smoke point so it is good for frying.
- Sweet Chili Sauce Mae Ploy brand is widely available.
- Rice Vinegar Any variety will do or you can substitute apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar as these have very similar flavors.
- Soy Sauce Regular or low-sodium if you prefer. Also, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos could be used as a gluten-free sauce.
- Ginger Ginger is optional, but fresh grated or finely minced ginger adds a touch of unique sweetness to the rice. I would suggest adding 1 teaspoon if desired.
Ingredients For The Rice
- Jasmine Rice Jasmine white rice is processed rice that cooks in a short amount of time. Brown rice could be used but the cooking time is 40 to 50 minutes and the liquid amount would vary.
- Yellow Onion Finely chopped onion adds a lot of flavor to the oriental rice mix.
- Sweet Bell Pepper Added for flavor and color.
- Chicken Broth Vegetable broth could be used as a substitute. I used my Homemade Chicken Broth. The broth provides the Asian white rice recipe restaurant quality flavor that puts this dish over the top.
- Peanuts Chopped peanuts are a nice complimentary flavor with Asian spices.
- Sesame seeds, Fresh cilantro, Green onions These provide an assortment of flavors that complement the rice as a garnish.
Use a large skillet with a lid, add 1 tablespoon of canola or peanut oil, and heat to medium-high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add 1 cup of jasmine white rice.
Stir the rice to coat it with the oil. Continue to toss the rice around to slightly brown the kernels. This should take about 3 minutes.
Next, add the chopped vegetables and sauté onions and pepper for 2 minutes to soften. Then carefully add the chicken broth. With the heat being as high as it is, the cold liquid will have a tendency to splatter.
Turn your stove to low heat, just enough to simmer the rice. Cover with the lid and set a timer for 13 minutes.
After 13 minutes, take the lid off and taste the rice for doneness and for the amount of broth that is still in the skillet. If the rice seems tender enough and most of the liquid has been absorbed, you can add the oriental sauce to the rice.
If there is still a bit of liquid and the rice is not quite done, cover the skillet and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, then pour the sauce into the rice and stir to fully combine.
Serve the rice hot with your choice of garnishes on the side.
Pair The Asian Rice Recipe With…
- Stir-fried Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli
- Pan-fried Shrimp
- Moo Shu Pork
- Additional Sauteed Mushrooms and Vegetables
Give this oriental Asian spicy white rice recipe a try. It is easy and tasty and might become one of your favorite recipes for rice.
Simple Oriental Rice Recipe
- 2 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 1.5 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. chili garlic sauce add more for added kick of heat
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp. ground or minced ginger, (optional)
- 1 cup white jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp. canola or peanut oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion, 1/2 a medium onion
- 3/4 cup sweet bell pepper, chopped small, (your choice of color)
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- chopped, salted peanuts
- fresh chopped cilantro
- toasted sesame seeds
- green onions, chopped green parts
- Using a large, lidded skillet add 1 tablespoon of canola or peanut oil and heat on medium-high until the oil starts to shimmer. Add 1 cup of white jasmine rice and stir to coat the rice with oil. Continue stirring and brown the rice slightly. This should take 3 minutes.
- Then add the chopped onion and bell pepper and sauté for another 2 minutes to soften. Carefully add the chicken broth and lower the stove temperature to low, just enough to simmer. Place the lid on the skillet and simmer for 13 minutes.
- After 13 minutes, remove the lid and check the rice for tenderness and the amount of broth that has been absorbed. If the rice is tender and most of the broth is gone, continue to the next step. If the rice is still not quite tender and there is still broth in the skillet, place the lid back on and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients for the oriental sauce together in a small bowl and then pour it over the cooked rice and stir to fully incorporate. Serve the rice hot with garnishes of choice on the side.
- The substitute ingredient for chili garlic sauce could be straight sriracha sauce and minced garlic. A substitute for sweet chili sauce could be a teaspoon of sriracha and a tablespoon of honey. These methods are completely untested by me but would probably taste very similar.
- You may like to add some ground ginger to the sauce for a bit of a sweet flavor.
- If you don't have rice vinegar, you can use apple cider vinegar or sherry vinegar since they are close in flavor and acidity.
- For a bit more spicy kick, add more chili garlic sauce or some sriracha.
- The nutrition information is based on using all of the garnishes listed and it is an estimate of the quantities.