Delicious pan fried potatoes and onions is a way to up your game in the kitchen. Perfectly browned on the outside and tender on the inside, these potatoes will be a hit with your family.
Mashed russet potatoes and oven browned red potatoes are great too, but these pan fried slabs of gold potatoes combined with caramelized onions is terrific. It’s a perfect side dish with chicken, pork, or beef.
This dish is also known as Lyonnaise Potatoes, from Lyon, France. So if you serve these for company, they are not just potatoes and onions, they are Lyonnaise Potatoes! Impressive to be sure.
How to make them
First off, the potatoes you use are important. Yukon golds are the perfect potato for this dish. They are generally medium sized and have a slightly waxy texture that holds together well when fried. Russets have a lot more starch and when cooked they start to get really soft and flake apart. That’s why they are great for mashing.
Next, in order to get a crispy exterior and creamy middle, start with pretty hefty slabs of potatoes. Slice them so that they are 3/8″ to 1/2″ thick. They will take some time to get nicely browned and the extra thickness allows the interior to cook through and be tender in the middle.
For the onions, I like to slice them lengthwise from the root to the head. They will separate well and leave you with nice sized strands of onion.
Once the potatoes are nicely browned, toss in the onions and give them a stir to combine. Lower the temperature of your stove and cover the skillet. About every two minutes uncover and give them another stir. After about ten minutes the onions should be softened and starting to get some nice browning.
I added some minced garlic right at the end of cooking and let the garlic get some fragrance by stirring it in and letting it cook for a couple minutes.
When you serve this, it would also be nice to sprinkle on some fresh chopped parsley to give the dish some nice color. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any when I made this and did the photos. Doh…my bad.
We had the potatoes and onions with a bone in pork chop that I browned on the stove-top and finished in the oven. Dang we eat well around here.
Pan Fried Potatoes and Onions-Lyonnaise Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced to 3/8" to 1/2" thick slabs
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced thinly, lengthwise
- 4 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium to medium high heat. Carefully add the potatoes in a single layer to the skillet. Salt and pepper the potatoes.
- Brown the potatoes by turning and rotating their positioning in the skillet with a pair of tongs, until all the slabs are nicely browned. This will take 15 to 20 minutes depending on the heat of your stove.
- Set your stove heat to low and add the sliced onions, salt them slightly, and stir into the potatoes. Cover the skillet and every 2 minutes, uncover and stir. After about 10 minutes the onions should be softened and starting to brown.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley.