Frico is crispy cheese. Something that Italians have all the time. It’s also another perfect, but so simple appetizer. I could eat a lot of these on New Years Eve! This is a fast appetizer you can make if you have about a half hour. Served with a wine, either red or white, it will satisfy any hunger cravings you have. I used asiago cheese, but this could be made with Parmesan or mozzarella.
While these are hot, they can be shaped to make a bowl by placing over a small inverted cup or glass. Serve with olives or pickled vegetables.
- 8 oz Asiago cheese , grated
- 1 tbsp AP flour
- olive oil
- Combine grated cheese with flour and mix well. (Use a shallow bowl or large plate)
- Heat a lightly oiled, large cast iron skillet on medium low
- Add approximately 1/8 cup cheese in clumps which will melt into a 2 to 3 inch round.
- Fry undisturbed for 3 or 4 minutes until the edges start to brown
- Turn with a spatula and fry another 2 minutes
- Remove and place on paper towels to drain
- Serve at room temperature
These are tasty and go well with any type of wine. Try them!