30 minute dessert is that correct? Have I got your attention? That’s right…let’s get going! Crank the oven to 350° and let’s start baking these chewy chocolate cookies. These cookies are so good and fast you could start them right after supper for a dessert.
Healthy Chocolate Cookies?
You all know that dark chocolate has loads of antioxidants and good stuff like that…mmm. And dark chocolate has a profound effect on your overall mental health. In with the good, and all the world’s troubles just melt away. These cookies have a crispy crust, yet they’re gooey on the inside and they’ll ease all of your troubles and please your senses. And who doesn’t need that these days?
Make sure you have a big, cold glass of milk to go along with these 30 minute chewy chocolate cookies!
I’m not a chocolate freak, but when the urge for sweets strikes, chocolate is a perfect go-to treat. And 30 minute dessert! I’m not exaggerating on the time. This is such an easy dessert recipe.
The chocolate you use should be baking chocolate which contains fewer sweeteners than normal eating chocolate. And it has a higher percentage of cocoa. I’ve used Ghirardelli 70% in bar form and Ghirardelli 60% in chip form. Both make great chocolate cookies. Bon Appetit has a good article about chocolate.
Easy steps to make the cookies
Place the chocolate and the butter in a microwavable bowl and nuke for 30 seconds. Give the chocolate a bit of a stir with a spatula then microwave again for 30 seconds. Stir this again to melt all the chocolate.
Beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a medium to large-sized bowl and whisk until nicely blended. Then, slowly blend in the chocolate with a spatula and mix until blended. Add the flour and baking powder and stir until fully incorporated.
To bake the cookies, line an 11″ X 17″ baking sheet with parchment paper. Give the paper a quick spritz of cooking oil, then drop a golf ball-sized lump of dough onto the paper. The cookies don’t have to be perfect, but you can push the dough with your fingers to make them sort of round. You should have enough dough to make 16 or 17 cookies.
You could also use a cookie scoop…#26 or #30 for more control. I just used a serving spoon on this batch.
The dough is quite loose and soupy so it is easiest to use an ice cream-type scoop. I usually use a #30. Place a dollop of dough onto the parchment paper leaving enough space for the dough to spread. About 3/4 inch is about right. It is not that critical to be exact because the cookies are very easy to separate. Really, no one will know the difference.
You can place the batter into your freezer for 8 to 10 minutes to stiffen up which makes it easier to scoop out and drop on the sheet pan but then you won’t have a 30 minute dessert. I have made them both ways with very similar results.
Remember to turn the oven on before you start because you will be sliding these cookies in before you know it. 10 to 12 minutes in the oven and they are done! Just let the cookies cool a little before you dig in. And don’t forget to pour yourself a nice cold glass of milk.
This is super easy and super delicious. Make sure you share some of these with friends. They will love it.
Cleanup is a snap too since you lined your baking pan with parchment paper. Let the cookies cool for a couple of minutes on the parchment, then remove them with a small turner and place them on a wire rack to cool. Throw away the parchment and you should have a very easy to clean baking sheet.
Delicious 30 minute chewy chocolate cookies can be yours very soon…Make some of these!
Chocolate?… here are a couple more recipes to try:
Chewy Chocolate Cookies in 30 Minutes
- 8 oz . dark chocolate bar , Ghirardelli 60% or 70% cacao or similar
- 2 1/2 tbsp salted butter , cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- spray vegetable cooking oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds, stir, then microwave another 30 seconds, or until melted.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- Slowly add the melted chocolate, whisking continually so you don't cook the eggs.
- Finally, add the flour and baking powder and whisk until smooth. *See notes
- Line a large, (12 X 17), sheet pan with parchment paper. Spray the paper lightly with cooking oil.
- Spoon out approximately golf ball sized gobs of batter. A number 24 or number 30 cookie scoop makes it easy to measure. The cookies will spread a little in the oven.
- Place in the oven on the center rack for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies just start to crack, rotating the pan 180° after 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to firm up for about a minute before removing them from the pan with a turner. Place them on a wire rack to cool.
- Place the batter in your freezer for 8 to 10 minutes to firm up and this will make it a bit easier to scoop and drop on the sheet pan. This will make them 37 minute chewy chocolate cookies.
- These cookies freeze well in a container with a lid. They are really nice to eat when frozen right out of the freezer.
This easy dessert recipe post has been updated on December 16, 2021.