Tortilla wrap pizza tastes just like a traditional pizza without all the work. No crust to make and no baking involved. This pizza wrap recipe is easy enough for anyone to make it. If your kids are into helping with cooking, this is perfect to let them get involved.
In 10 minutes, you could be enjoying this extra-crispy easy tortilla pizza that is TikTok inspired.
You may have seen this viral pizza tortilla hack on TikTok….well I heard about it and had to try it. The result is super easy and flavorful personal tortilla wrap pizzas.
This is a total game-changer in homemade pizza. And I really like how this method makes the tortilla extra crispy. Just like a thin crust pizza should be. Who knew you could make a pizza on a tortilla?
To start out, you need large, burrito-sized flour tortillas. I used La Banderito brand, Burrito Grande tortillas. They are 10″ in diameter.
If you are adventurous, you could make your own tortillas using my Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe.
Next, have you ever eaten pizza before? I thought so.
What do you like on your pizza? The ingredients you put on a pizza wrap are just the same as a traditional pizza.
Red…tomato and herbs
White…Parmesan and garlic in a creamy base
Either red and white sauce is okay by me!
Olives, green or black
Use whatever ingredients you like on your personal tortilla pizza. Be sure to use lots of melty cheese on your simple tortilla pizza.
Also, don’t go overboard with the ingredients you put on the tortilla wrap. It can get kind of messy when you cook them and they may not get heated and melted.
In the photo below you will notice that the right 2 quadrants will be the sides touching the hot skillet or griddle. This is where the majority of your cheese selection should go.
Make sure to keep the temperature of your skillet pretty low. You want each side of the wrap to have enough time to melt the cheese before the tortilla shell gets too burned.
Assemble your Tortilla Pizzas
Lay your tortilla on a cutting surface and cut a slit from the center to the edge. That will leave you with 4 quadrants to place your preferred toppings.
It doesn’t have to be in any particular order but remember, you will start folding the sections into themselves as shown. I find that it works best to start with your sauce and maybe some cheese.
The rest is up to you for toppings. I recommend that you put a little cheese on all of the toppings. This way you will get a cheesy mouthful to go along with the flavor of the other ingredients.
Fold the tortilla together until you have a nice triangle of flavorful goodness. All that is left to do is pan-fry your tortilla wrap pizza.
Use a large skillet on medium-low heat on your stove to brown and heat up your individual pizzas. You want to keep the temperature low enough so that the cheese starts to melt before the tortillas get too brown.
Add a small bit of olive oil to the skillet or you may brush some olive oil on the wrap itself, then set the pizza on the skillet. Ideally, it should take 2 1/2 to 3 minutes before you flip it to the second side. In no time at all, you will have a homemade personal pizza in an extra-crispy tortilla wrap.
This is perfect party food
For some fun, invite a few people over to watch some football…I think there are some games coming up.
Assemble a buffet full of sauce, different meats, grated cheeses, and assorted chopped vegetables, and let everyone make their own wrap pizza. Have a couple of large skillets available to cook these up. This is sure to be a hit.
And take a look at this pan-fried pizza from Half Baked Harvest. Same idea with different ingredients.
I was skeptical when I first saw this pizza wrap idea but I’m a believer now. Easy, extra-crispy tortilla wrap pizza is really good.
Here are a few more popular recipes to try:
- Smoked salmon, dill and capers
- Shrimp and Sausage Stew
- Perfect Salmon Loaf
- Southwest Dressing Recipe (just like Newman’s Own from McDonalds)
- Shrimp Penne alla Vodka Sauce
- Cold Tuna Salad for Summer
Easy Extra-Crispy Tortilla Wrap Pizza
- 1 flour tortilla, burrito size, 10" dia.
- 1 pizza sauce, red or white, homemade or commercial I used Classico traditional
- 1 grated cheese, mozzarelli, Parmesan, romano, or other melting cheese
- 1 meats, Italian sausage, pepperoni, bacon or other of choice
- 1 vegetables, chopped, your choice
- 1 olive oil
- Place a tortilla on a cutting board and using a knife, cut a slit from the center point of the tortilla to the edge. Now you will have 4 sections of the tortilla to place toppings, meat, sauce, and cheese, (as in the photo above).
- Start with sauce in the lower left section and a bit of cheese too. Place the remaining desired toppings and cheese in the remaining 3 sections. I recommend placing a bit of cheese on each of these.
- Starting on the bottom left, lift the section over the upper left section. Then fold that over the top right section and finally over the bottom right section. You will have a triangle ready to heat up and brown.
- Heat up a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet on medium low heat. Place 1 or 2 wraps in the heated skillet and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side until nicely browned and crisp, adding a bit more olive oil if necessary. Serve hot.
- Keeping the skillet temperature low will enable the cheeses and meats to get heated up before the tortilla gets too brown. I used my laser thermometer and tried to keep the surface at 350° to 370°.
- Nutrition information would be hard to determine because of the variety of ingredients. One La Banderita tortilla contains 175 calories so this is not low-cal. With toppings you are probably at about 425 calories per wrap.
This recipe post has been updated on May 25, 2022.