Tortilla wrap pizza tastes just like a traditional pizza without all the work. No crust to make and no baking involved.
You may have seen this viral tortilla hack on TikTok….well I heard about it and had to try it. The result is super easy and flavorful pizza wraps. This is a total game-changer in homemade pizza.
To start out, you need large, burrito sized flour tortillas. I used La Banderito brand, Burrito Grande tortillas. They are 10″ in diameter.
Next, have you ever eaten pizza before? I thought so. What do you like on it?
- Red…tomato and herbs
- White…Parmesan and garlic in a creamy base
- Italian sausage
- Canadian bacon
- Green pepper
- Olives, green or black
- Red pepper
- Roma tomatoes
Assemble your pizza
Lay your tortilla on a cutting surface and cut a slit from the center to the edge. That will leave you with 4 quadrants to place your preferred toppings. It doesn’t have to be in any particular order but remember, you will start folding the sections into themselves as shown. I find that it works best to start with your sauce and maybe some cheese.
The rest is up to you for toppings. I recommend that you put a little cheese on all of the toppings. This way you will get a cheesy mouthful to go along with the flavor of the other ingredients.
Fold the tortilla together until you have a nice triangle of flavorful goodness.
Use a large skillet on medium low heat on your stove to brown and heat up your individual pizzas. You want to keep the temperature low enough so that the cheese starts to melt before the tortillas get too brown.
Add a small bit of olive oil to the skillet and set in the pizza. Ideally, it should take 2 1/2 to 3 minutes before you flip it to the second side.
This is perfect party food
For some fun, invite a few people over to watch some football…I think there are some games coming up. Assemble a buffet full of sauce, different meats, grated cheeses, and assorted chopped vegetables and let everyone make their own pizza. Have a couple large skillets available to cook these up. Sure to be a hit.
I was skeptical when I first saw this idea but I’m a believer now. Crispy tortilla wrap pizza is really good.
Here are a few more appetizers to try:
- Smoked salmon, dill and capers
- Greek style feta cheese quesadilla
- Instant pot glazed wings
- Seared beef tenderloin crostini
- flour tortilla, burrito size, 10" dia.
- pizza sauce, red or white, homemade or commercial I used Classico traditional
- grated cheese, mozzarelli, Parmesan, romano, or other melting cheese
- meats, Italian sausage, pepperoni, bacon or other of choice
- vegetables, chopped, your choice
- olive oil
- Place a tortilla on a cutting board and using a knife, cut a slit from the center point of the tortilla to the edge. Now you will have 4 sections of the tortilla to place toppings, meat, sauce, and cheese, (as in the photo).
- Start with sauce in the lower left section and a bit of cheese too. Place the remaining desired toppings and cheese in the remaining 3 sections. I recommend placing a bit of cheese on each of these.
- Starting on the bottom left, lift the section over the upper left section. Then fold that over the top right section and finally over the bottom right section. You will have a triangle ready to heat up and brown.
- Heat up a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet on medium low heat. Place 1 or 2 wraps in the heated skillet and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side until nicely browned and crisp, adding a bit more olive oil if necessary. Serve hot.
- Keeping the skillet temperature low will enable the cheeses and meats to get heated up before the tortilla gets too brown. I used my laser thermometer and tried to keep the surface at 350° to 370°.
- Nutrition information would be hard to determine because of the variety of ingredients. One La Banderita tortilla contains 220 calories so this is not low-cal.