When you live with a daughter who’s a dietitian and mostly a vegetarian, you have to be pretty selective when it comes to what you fix for dinner. These low carb fried cauliflower patties are a healthy, low calorie, low carbohydrate alternative to potato cakes, but have the same great taste.
They come in with a pretty respectable 10.3 grams of carbohydrates for two patties. And did you know, cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable and has many healthy attributes as described by the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University. Here’s the article, Cruciferous Vegetables, from their Micronutrient Information Center. This link leads to a website provided by the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University. Joe’s Healthy Meals is not affiliated or endorsed by the Linus Pauling Institute or Oregon State University.
Making the cauliflower patties
In order to keep these low carbohydrate, I used half the flour that most recipes use. I used white whole wheat flour but all-purpose would work just as well. I also found that hand forming the patties worked best and they held together really well in the skillet. Initially, I tried to take a scoop and put it in the skillet and flatten it with a fork. That didn’t work out well and the cake broke apart. Mary Jo became my patty maker and hand forming the cakes insured that they stayed together. I used a #16 scoop to size the patties, which is just under 1/4 cup.
I included this picture of the steamed cauliflower, hoping that the steamer basket would show. It kind of does but you can get a better look at one here. It’s a real handy kitchen item to have.
I served the low carb fried cauliflower patties with pan seared boneless chicken breasts. Yum. Give this a try…here’s the printable recipe.
If you tried this recipe let me know how you liked it in the comments below. Drop a photo on your Instagram and hashtag #joeshealthymeals. I love seeing what you guys are making.
Low Carb Fried Cauliflower Patties
- 5 cups steamed cauliflower , (one large head)
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ cup pecorino Romano cheese , (or Parmesan)
- 2 tbsp grated onion
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Break the cauliflower into florets, then steam 12 to 15 minutes, then let cool
- Place in a food processor and pulse into a coarse grind. (This is best done in 3 or 4 small batches).
- Place in a large bowl and fold in the flour, eggs garlic, cheese, onion, parsley salt and pepper.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until you are ready to fry the patties.
- Heat a non stick skillet on medium to medium high heat, add 1 to 1½ tbsp oil.
- Use a #16 scoop, (just under ¼ cup), to measure, place the dough on your hands and form a patty approximately 3" in diameter.
- Place in the hot skillet and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, turn and fry the second side for 2 minutes. (Fry 4 to 6 patties at a time).
- Repeat for the remaining batter, adding small amounts of oil as needed.
- Serve warm