Kick up your side dish and try jalapeno potatoes au gratin. Just a little spice from the jalapeno adds a lot of flavor.
Here’s a twist on traditional potatoes au gratin where you use gruyere cheese, this one uses queso cheese which is Mexican crumbling cheese. This cheese is quite mild, but once you mix it up with some red bell pepper, sliced onions, and jalapenos the flavors blend quite nicely.
When making au gratin potatoes, it’s best to use thin skinned potatoes which usually contain the least amount of starch. I used red potatoes, but another variety to use is Yukon Golds, which are readily available. Steer clear of russets which are best for baking or mashing. These thin skinned potatoes can be washed up and sliced skin on which is a plus for preparation time.
Use a mandoline to slice these thin and even. Use the guard to keep your fingers out of the blade. The blade is super sharp. I know from experience. If you don’t have a mandoline, treat yourself to one. Here’s a link to Amazon for a good looking model for $30.00, Premium mandoline fruit and vegetable slicer. I think the ones with a v-blade perform best. I used the mandoline to also slice the onion.
I used a 1.6 liter casserole dish and made enough for 4 people. Adjust your quantities if you use a larger casserole.
The jalapenos in this recipe were from Cajun Chef, Louisiana hot jalapeno peppers which are pickled. Fresh jalapenos would be just as good to use and would most likely be a little hotter.
Assemble the potatoes au gratin in layers of potatoes, onions, jalapeno, red pepper, and cheese, lightly salt and peppering each layer. Build your casserole right up to the top. The ingredients will settle when baked.
Feel free to mix up your cheese. Adding some grated cheddar along with the queso fresco would be good.
How about a sprinkling of crispy bacon bits in each layer? 4 slices of crispy, thin cut bacon will add about 40 calories to each serving.
Next time you are looking for a special potato dish, give jalapeno potatoes au gratin a try. Certain to be a winner.
Jalapeno Potatoes Au Gratin
- 4 red or Yukon gold potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced small
- 2 jalapeno peppers minced
- 6 oz. queso, Mexican crumbling cheese
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray cooking oil in a 2 quart casserole dish and assemble in layers: potatoes, onions, red pepper, jalapeno and cheese. Sprinkle each layer with salt and pepper. Build up 4 or 5 layers to fill the dish.
- Pour the vegetable broth over the assembled ingredients.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and place in the oven, 60 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole after 60 minutes and bake for another 15 minutes to slightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before serving hot.
Here are a couple other potato dishes to try