This sheet pan dinner is so good! Just ask MaryJo, my official taste tester, (I think she liked it)! Roasted vegetables with sausage tossed with a number of spices to bring out the best flavors of the veggies is a meal you’ve got to try.
Easy and tasty is in play here. I used a number of vegetables to roast…red bell pepper, sweet potato, red onion, broccoli, carrots, Brussels sprouts, green beans. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
The spice combination is what makes this sheet pan dinner work. Simple spices each contributing their own quality to the vegetables.
To keep things simple, I used a teaspoon of each…
Air dried shallots from Penzey’s
and some sprigs of fresh thyme
Place the vegetables in a large bowl with the olive oil and spices. Toss to fully coat and then arrange them in a single layer on a large sheet pan that you’ve sprayed with cooking oil. Some people use aluminum foil or parchment paper to line the sheet pan. I find that everything will brown much better without the extra layers. Just spray the pan well with cooking oil to make for easier cleanup.
Add some pork sausage links that you’ve chopped into coins. Potato sausage or Polish would be great. I used a breakfast sausage from Pastures a Plenty, a free range livestock farm, where the animals are free to feed on grass and alfalfa. And it is also a meat that my daughter Amy will eat.
Place in a 400° pre-heated oven for 25 to 35 minutes until the vegetables are browned. You can stir this around after 20 minutes or so. Add extra sprigs of thyme once the veggies are done. Just strip off the leaves and enjoy with your meal for a nice flavor enhancement.
One sheet pan roasted vegetables are easy to prepare and totally satisfying. Give this meal a try.
Sheet Pan Roasted Vegetables with Sausage
- 3 medium carrots sliced to 1/2" by 4" pieces and microwaved for 1 minute in a plate with a little water.
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin and separated
- 1/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved or quartered
- 1/2 lbs. green beans, washed, stems removed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into slices
- 1/2 lbs. sweet potato, diced to bite sized pieces
- 3/4 lbs sausage, cut into 1/2" coins Polish, Potato, Breakfast sausages of choice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Penzey's air dried shallots
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp course sea salt
- 10 to 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the vegetables as needed then place in a large bowl, add the olive oil and spices and toss well to coat.
- Spray a large sheet pan with cooking spray and add the vegetables and sausage in a single layer with a few thyme sprigs.
- Place in oven for 25 to 35 minutes until the vegetables are browned, checking the vegetables at 20 minutes and turning if necessary for browning.
- Remove from the oven, add a few more thyme sprigs, and serve hot.
Here are a couple more recipes featuring cooked vegetables