With the Super Bowl coming up, I thought of a super half time treat. White Chicken Chili is one of our family favorites. It is savory and spicy, and perfect to eat rather than more nachos, wings and chip dip. You could even make this a day or two ahead of time and heat up when ready to serve.
Our daughter Katy is the White Chicken Chili pro and she has used this recipe for years. I hope she doesn’t mind that I steal it for Joe’s Healthy Meals! Mary Jo and I have enjoyed it ever since Katy started making it years ago for us. That must have been 15 years ago! Time flies.
Try this anytime you want a spicy, but not so calorie laden entre, for a perfect winter meal.
I used 2 pounds of chicken thighs for this chili, and I took the time to remove most of the fat then cut it into 1/2 inch pieces. This was time consuming, but I got rid of a lot of extra fat calories and made this quite a bit more healthy. Just watch out that you don’t add too much sour cream or cheese to your bowl. These make it taste so good! Along with added chopped green onion and fresh cilantro leaves.
WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion , finely chopped
- 2 pounds skinless , boneless chicken thighs, cubed to 1/2 inch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 4 oz . can chopped green chilis
- 1 15 oz . can white kidney beans , drained & rinsed
- 2 medium garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- shredded Monterey jack cheese
- chopped green onion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Cook chicken and onions in olive oil in a heavy pan on medium high heat for 10 to 15 minutes until the chicken is done.
- Add the chicken broth, chiilis, garlic, and spices. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the beans and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with the cheese, green onions, fresh cilantro, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
I hope you try this.