Soup..it’s what’s for Dinner
- We made a 14 pound turkey to feed 4 people! Therefore, Leftover Turkey Vegetable Soup.
- Mary Jo made wonderful turkey stock from the carcass.
- Mary Jo also made some delicious honey whole wheat bread to sop up the juices.
- It is winter.
Yep, I actually made leftover turkey vegetable soup with bacon. It adds another subtle flavor profile which is really nice. And the bacon grease was used to cook the vegetables a bit before adding the turkey stock.
Tomato paste was added for a little richness, half and half with some flour for thickening, and Kitchen Bouquet to darken the broth.
Mary Jo’s bread was perfect with the soup. It was honey whole wheat bread which is a soft, sandwich style bread with great texture and flavor.
The recipe ingredients shown were enough for the two of us, so you should adjust the amounts to suit your needs. I didn’t want leftover, leftover turkey vegetable soup! Here’s the printable recipe.
- 3 thick cut bacon slices , chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 tbsp bacon grease
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 cups turkey stock , (chicken broth can be used as a substitute)
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet , (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a dutch oven or heavy sauce pan, cook the bacon on medium high until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes, then remove the bacon from the pan and place on paper towel lined plate.
- Remove all but 2 tbsp bacon grease from the pan and add the onions, celery and carrots and cook stirring for 5 or 6 minutes to soften slightly.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the turkey stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot and cook until the carrots and celery are done to your liking, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Mix half and half and flour in a shaker, then add to the stock, and bring to a boil to thicken .
- Add the tomato paste and Kitchen Bouquet and stir in.
- Add the turkey, corn, and half of the bacon bits and cook until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper
- Serve hot and garnish with the remaining bacon bits