Apricot-chili glazed chicken breast gets browned in the skillet and then gets glazed with sweet apricot preserves and chili garlic sauce and finished in the oven.
If you are into spicy food, then this will be right up your alley. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of the chili sauce which gives the chicken quite a bite on the palate. But for all you heat lovers, it’s definitely a good feel.
I mixed up the glaze, which is enough to coat 4 chicken breasts. Since MaryJo and I just needed one a piece, there was glazing sauce left which was terrific when a little was mixed with the rice we had with it.
I really like the idea of browning the breasts on the stove and then finishing the cooking in the oven. It gives you time to get the other menu items cooked and ready for the table.
The Lodge cast iron skillet I used is the perfect pan for this recipe.
Here are some more Chicken Recipes to try:
- Chicken fettuccini alfredo recipe
- Creamy chicken pasta with mushrooms
- Chicken Marsala
- Orzo chicken casserole
Apricot-Chili Glazed Chicken Breast
- 4 skinless , boneless chicken breasts, 6 to 8 oz. ea.
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup chili sauce , like Huy Fong chili garlic sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp butter
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and salt all sides, then refrigerate uncovered 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- For the glaze, mix together the apricot, chili sauce, mustard and garlic powder in a small skillet and heat to boiling while stirring, then take off the heat and reserve.
- Add vegetable oil and butter to a heavy, oven safe skillet on medium to medium high.
- Remove the chicken and pat with paper towels again and place smooth side down in the heated skillet 4 minutes to nicely brown.
- Take the skillet off the burner, turn the breasts browned side up and coat with the glaze.
- Put in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 155°
- Take out of the oven and place the chicken on a platter and cover with foil for 5 minutes.
- Serve right away.