Potatoes as an appetizer? You betcha! A roasted potato appetizer with chive sauce. This is bite sized pieces of perfectly roasted baby potatoes with a low calorie yogurt based chive sauce. The two go together like peas and carrots!
My friend Manny was the inspiration for this when he recently brought over some of his home grown herbs. They included some beautiful rosemary and some garlic chives. So Manny, here’s one way you can use some your herbs and I guarantee that you and Christine will love it.
I got these little potatoes at our Publix store, which, by the way, is a short 250 yard car ride from our house! Or, I suppose I could walk if it weren’t so darn hot out. The package called these “enchanted rose” potatoes. I don’t know…they looked like little baby red potatoes to me. Anyway, when they are cut in half, they are a perfect bite sized appetizer.
I measured out one pound of potatoes from the 28 oz. package, selecting the smallest ones. I threw them into a bowl along with the olive oil, rosemary, pepper and garlic powder and stirred them together. I roasted the potatoes in a cast iron skillet. It looks like the potatoes are kind of crowded in there, but the cast iron retains the heat so well, they all get a very nice browning.
The chive sauce was made with 2% fat Greek yogurt. This made the whole bowl of sauce, just over 150 calories. Not bad for a tasty appetizer. You could use fat free Greek yogurt too, but the fat free has kind of a chalky texture, but that would bring the calories way down. The nutrition label is based on 6 servings of 6 potatoes each. There would be nothing wrong with making these for a side dish too.
Think about fixing up this roasted potato appetizer with chive sauce for your next get-together. It’s pretty dang good.
Roasted Potato Appetizer with Chive SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1 lbs . baby red potatoes , 1' to 1 1/4" diameter, halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-7 oz , container 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 to 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- Mix potatoes, oil,rosemary, pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl, combine well
- Put potatoes in a 12" cast iron skillet and place in the pre-heated oven, 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and turn each potato
- Place back in oven for 20 to 25 minutes until nicely browned
- Serve hot
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl
- Taste to adjust seasonings
- Serve on the side with potatoes