I always enjoy making lasagna…it’s a little involved, but the results are worth the effort. But I decided to change it up a bit and make Italian sausage lasagna roll ups. Same great lasagna flavor packed into easy to serve lasagna noodle rolls.
I was making this dish for a group of 6 people and I started prepping the ingredients about 4 hours before we would eat. You wouldn’t need to do this, but you should give yourself an hour to prep things before the lasagna goes into the oven.
Making Italian Sausage Lasagna Roll Ups
Start by cooking the noodles. I used a roasting pan placed over two burners and this was big enough to easily fit the 24 noodles I cooked. Boil them for 9 1/2 minutes so they were not quite done, and still a little chewy. I then rinsed them under cold water, patted them dry, and placed them individually on parchment paper until I used them. That worked out really well. Do more than you’ll need because some will tear and not look right and I had the one with teeth marks on it that I chewed into testing for doneness. Wouldn’t want to serve that one!
Brown the sausage and drain off the excess fat and keep the sausage in the skillet until needed. I also made up the sauce using a 28 ounce can plus a 14 ounce can of tomato sauce. I thought that there would be excess sauce, but it turns out that all of it got used. It’s nice to have that extra saucy goodness on the Italian sausage lasagna roll ups. After putting the seasonings into the sauce, I let it cook for 4 or 5 minutes, tasted it, pronounced it ready to eat, put a cup or a little more on the meat, and then kept it in the saucepan until used. All that was left to do is grate the two cheeses and mix up the ricotta, egg and Parmesan.
Prepping the casserole dish
Getting the roll ups filled and into the casserole dish takes about 30 minutes. I prepped three at a time in a baking sheet, rolled them up and placed them in a casserole dish that was sprayed with cooking oil and lightly coated with the tomato sauce. Anything that falls out when you roll up the noodles can easily be used for the next batch… or you can just go ahead and have yourself a snack. Your choice!
There was enough meat sauce for 16 roll ups. There was also enough ricotta cheese, and mozzarella to make 3 meatless roll ups.
All in all, we had a great dinner and also had lots of yummy leftovers for the next day.
If you like lasagna, make yourself some Italian sausage lasagna roll ups and invite a few friends over. It’s a great meal fit for a crowd.
Italian Sausage Lasagna Roll Ups
- 20 to 24 lasagna noodles
- 1 1/4 lbs .Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 42 oz . tomato sauce , (28 oz. and 14 oz.)
- 1 lg. garlic clove , crushed and minced
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 15 oz . ricotta cheese
- 1 lg. egg
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 10 oz . coarse grated mozzarella cheese
- Boil lasagna noodles 9 to 10 mins., drain and rinse with cold water, dry slightly and store individually on parchment paper.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil, remove from heat and drain of any excess oil, reserve.
- Heat the tomato sauce in a large saucepan, add the garlic, oregano, basil, and thyme and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, remove from the heat and reserve.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the tomato sauce to the sausage and stir together.
- Mix the ricotta cheese,egg, salt, pepper and grated Parmesan in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Prepare casserole dishes by spraying with cooking oil and a thin layer of sauce, 9 by 13 and 8 by 8.
- Use a small baking sheet to start assembling the lasagna roll ups...lay down the pasta, coat with the ricotta cheese mix, (2 tbsp), then the meat sauce,(2 tbsp), followed with a coating of mozzarella cheese.
- Roll up and place in the casserole dish, continue with the remaining pasta.
- Cover the roll ups with the tomato sauce, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, let cool 5 minutes, then serve.