Cheesy Italian Dunkers! You get home from work. You’re tired. The kids have baseball tonight or soccer. Give yourself a break and make something simple for supper.
You probably have all of the ingredients on hand to make this easy meal. Italian bread or some other hearty white bread. Heck, rye bread would be really tasty. Use whatever cheese you have in the refrigerator as long as it is a nice melting cheese. Mozzarella and a little Parmesan was my choice, but some white cheddar or jack cheese would be good too.
For the dipping sauce, Amy had some leftover marinara that was excellent. Any of your favorite jarred marinara sauces would be great too. You only need a cup or two.
To balance this out, I would serve a nice fruit salad on the side maybe mixed with a little Greek yogurt. Eat up some cheesy Italian dunkers and get those kids to their game.
And be sure to check out these tasty recipes:
- Stove-top Italian Chicken
- Italian Vegetable Quiche
- Italian Seasoned Grilled Chicken
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Italian Sausage Lasagna Roll-ups
- Homemade Italian Sausage Recipe
Cheesy Italian Dunkers
- 8 slices sourdough bread or other sturdy white bread
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 lg. garlic clove , crushed and minced
- 1/2 tsp . garlic powder
- 5 oz . cheese , sliced or grated, (mozzarella, Parmesan, Monterrey jack, white cheddar)
- 1-2 cups marinara sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Put butter, garlic and garlic powder in a small bowl and place in microwave to melt, 30 secs.
- Lay out bread on a baking sheet and brush with the garlic butter, (one side only)
- Add cheese slices or grated cheese onto the bread.
- Place in the oven until the cheese is melted and is starting to brown, 15 to 20 mins
- Heat marinara sauce on the stove top or in a microwave.
- Serve the bread slices hot with the red sauce on the side