What if you came home from work and craved LASAGNA? Lasagna takes like 2 hours or more to make right? Well, you could go to the nearest Italian restaurant or you could prepare this 45-minute one pot stovetop lasagna recipe. Same great taste in a hassle-free 45 minutes.
Ingredients For Stovetop Lasagna
Crack a nice red wine and start putting your own delicious lasagna dish together. This recipe uses all the same ingredients as baked lasagna, including traditional lasagna noodles, but will be ready to eat in 45 minutes.
- Diced tomatoes for the sauce
- Italian sausage
- Lasagna noodles
- 3 different kinds of cheese
And the lasagna uses a single skillet to make it easy to clean up.
Steps For Making The One Pot Lasagna Recipe
Start with a 12-inch skillet and add some olive oil. Cook the onion until translucent then add the garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes. Next, add the Italian sausage and cook through.
To make this skillet lasagna work, the noodles need to be broken up and then scattered into the skillet. Then the liquids are added and brought to a boil then the heat is reduced to a simmer. Cover the skillet with a lid.
You’ll need to stir the lasagna every few minutes so the pasta doesn’t stick together since it is quite starchy.
Once the pasta is cooked, add parmesan and mozzarella and stir in. Then add dollops of ricotta to the skillet. Let the cheese melt a bit, and then you are ready to serve.
I made this on Saturday and started it at about 11:00 am. I was eating it for lunch soon after while taking a few photos. And, it turns out, the leftovers became an impromptu supper for 6 people that evening. It was super good re-heated. Make sure you print this recipe and have it often!
This one pot stovetop lasagna recipe is really good. Please share it with friends!
And Be Sure To Try These Tasty Recipes:
- Cheesy Italian Dunkers
- Grilled Herb Crusted Chicken Breast
- Meatless Cottage Cheese Lasagna
- Italian Sausage Lasagna Roll-ups
- Stovetop Lentil Chili
45 Minute Stovetop Lasagna
- 1 28 oz . can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz . water
- 1 small to medium onion , diced
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 pound bulk , mild Italian sausage
- 10 lasagna noodles , broken into 2 inch pieces
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 15 oz . container ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Heat oil on medium in a 12 inch skillet. Add onion and salt and cook until the onion just starts to brown, (6 minutes)
- Stir in garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes. cook 30 seconds.
- Add ground, bulk sausage and cook until no longer pink, (4-5 minutes).
- Add pasta pieces on top of the meat.
- Cover pasta with tomatoes and tomato sauce and 4 oz water, reduce heat to simmer and cover the skillet.
- Stir occasionally until the pasta is cooked through, (20 minutes)
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese then sprinkle with mozzarella and place heaping tablespoons of ricotta on the sauce. Cover for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the chopped basil then serve.
- Use whole milk ricotta cheese. I find that the low-fat kind often has a grainy texture.
- Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This recipe post has been updated on November 13, 2021.