Key Lime Pie with graham cracker crust recipe is easy and the tastiest sweet treat there is. Just like you would get in a South Florida restaurant.
When our daughters were down to Florida to visit, the one thing they wanted was Key Lime Pie! I had never had Key Lime Pie until I was stationed at Homestead Air Force Base in 1973. Mary Jo and I would see advertisements for it and we had to finally have some, after being in southern Florida for quite a while.
When I was in the Army, stationed at Homestead AFB, we had very little extra money to go out to eat. It took us a while to spring for a night out for supper and dessert of Key Lime Pie with graham cracker crust. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor and tartness of the pie and since Mary Jo is such a good cook, she quickly found a recipe to make our own.
Mary Jo would make the pie using fresh Key limes since we were almost living in the Keys. Key limes are much smaller than normal limes and seem to be more tart and acidic. That’s what makes this pie great.
I know that it is hard to find key limes if you are not in Florida, but the key lime juice from concentrate is almost as good. If you can’t find Key Lime juice, regular lime juice works too.
There are lots of recipes for the pie out there and they are all pretty similar. After trying different combinations of ingredients, this is the recipe that we have used since the 1990s.
Here are some of the simple ingredients for this delicious pie.
The graham cracker crust is a simple combination of crushed crackers, some sugar, and melted butter. This is mixed together then pressed into a pie plate. Refrigerate this for an hour while you prepare the lime filling.
The ingredients for the filling are egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and vanilla extract. Mix these ingredients together and then fill the crusted pie plate.
Try this simple recipe for Key Lime Pie. I know your family would love you for it! Put the whole thing together in about one hour and it is delicious.
Here are some more tasty recipes to try:
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- Vegetarian Spinach Potato Quiche
- 30 Minute Dessert | Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
- Swedish Almond Tea Cake
Key Lime Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 9 inch pie plate with graham cracker crust made according to instructions on box.
- Or use 1 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers which is 10 or 12 crackers , 1/4 cup sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter, mixed well then pressed into the pie plate. Refrigerate for 1 hour to set or put in the freezer while you mix the pie filling.
- 5 egg yokes , beaten
- 1 14 oz . can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Key Lime juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine filling ingredients well.
- Pour into the graham cracker crusted pie tin. (Do not pre-bake the crust)
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven,
- Serve cold with whipped cream topping.
- For a pie that is less tart, use Persian limes, (supermarket limes). It will still taste outstanding.
This recipe post has been updated on November 18, 2021.