Years ago, (thirty or more), when Mary Jo said that she was making Italian vegetable quiche, I quickly turned up my nose and said I’m not eating that! How could anything called “Vegetable Quiche” be any good for someone who wants meat and potatoes all the time. Well that was a long time ago, and when the aromas of the quiche filled our kitchen, I was really surprised. Still leery of the name, the first bite was a revelation. This vegetable stuff is really good. Although we call it Italian Vegetable Quiche, we always have ham in it, (or you could keep it vegetarian without the meat and add imitation bacon to kick up the flavor).
If you’ve been looking at recipes and wondered how things would taste and never tried the recipes, try this onebecause it is killer and you won’t be disappointed. One recipe will serve four people, each having a little for seconds, (because you’ll want seconds). Serve with a fruit salad, some good bread and white wine.
½ lb fresh sliced mushrooms
1 medium green pepper, diced (I used small red and yellow because they where there)!
1 small to medium zucchini, thinly sliced
3 tbsp olive oil
1 cup cooked ham, diced
1 lb ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 14-16 oz can spinach, drained and pressed dry as possible, then chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ tbsp dill weed
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
Saute mushrooms, peppers and zucchini in 3 tbsp olive oil until tender. Add the ham and saute an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Put this mixture in a bowl and let cool. Once cooled, add all the other ingredients and fold together. Pour into an oiled 9 ½ inch quiche pan or pie plate. Bake 45 to 55 minutes at 350 degrees, until it starts browning on the edges. Let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes, then slice and serve. (You may have too much for the pan, just take another small oven safe container and bake the rest).
Leftovers can be be frozen or reheated in the oven or a microwave.
This is a no crust quiche, has less calories and the flavor is wonderful.
Italian Vegetable Quiche
- 6 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium sized zucchini, sliced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 1 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3 lg eggs, beaten
- 1 can spinach, (14 to 16 oz.), thoroughly drained and then chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Saute mushrooms, pepper and zucchini in a skillet with 3 tbsp evoo until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a large bowl to cool, 10 mins.
- Once cooled, add the remaining ingredients and fold together.
- Place ingredients into a greased, 9 1/2 inch pie plate, (or similar oven safe container), and place into the oven, 45 to 55 minutes until the edge starts to brown.
- Let cool 15 to 20 minutes before serving.