The best clam dip recipe is an easy appetizer to make using just 5 ingredients. The minced clams and the cream cheese taste great.
This is the appetizer our family always has when we get together. Clam dip is easy to make and quite tasty with rippled chips. Or any kind of potato chips, but wrinkled chips hold up to the slightly thick dip.
My dad got the recipe from somewhere. It’s been too long ago to remember. Clam dip was the one thing that he would make, (and sometimes fried eggs and bacon). With just 5 ingredients, it’s super easy to make.
Making the Clam Dip Recipe
The recipe has evolved some over the years. Cans of minced clams seemed to contain more clams, way back when, than they do now. Today we put in two cans of clams per 8 ounces of cream cheese and it used to be just one.
The easiest way to make the dip up is to use a hand mixer but I have even used a stand mixer in a pinch. It’s also important to have the cream cheese at room temperature when you start.
Reserve some of the clam juice so you can thin the dip. Don’t overdo it though. Sometimes just 1 or 2 teaspoons is enough. If it gets too runny it will not stick to your chips very well. You want it to be similar to guacamole.
Once it is mixed up, taste and add more Worcestershire sauce or salt if desired. It should taste of clams, grated onion, a bit of saltiness, and some Worcestershire.
You can serve the clam dip right away or refrigerate for 1 or 2 hours and the flavors will blend nicely.
There you have the secret Boyle Family best clam dip recipe.
And be sure to check out these tasty recipes:
- Easy Crab Dip Recipe
- Fresh Fruit Kabobs with Honey Yogurt Dip
- Grilled Potato Salad with Pickled Red Onion
- Mini Chocolate Chip Energy Bites
- Hearty Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- 2 8 oz. cream cheese, Philadelphia Original, at room temperature
- 4 6.5 oz. cans minced or chopped clams, (like Bumble Bee brand) , drained and the liquid reserved
- 1 small white onion , grated, 2 or 3 tbsp
- 3 shakes Worcestershire sauce , approx. 1 tsp or to taste
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Place cream cheese, onion, Worcestershire sauce, drained minced clams, and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer.
- Add 2 teaspoons of reserved clam juice and mix it in. Add more juice in small amounts until the dip has the consistency of guacamole.
- Serve right away or chilled for 1 or 2 hours with potato chips
- Reduced fat cream cheese is not recommended. It makes a thin tasting dip.
- Consistency: When adding the reserved clam juice to thin, go slowly as it is easy to make the dip too runny.
- Calories are based on 2 tablespoons of the clam dip without chips.
And More Appetizers To Try:
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Pepper Jelly Cream Cheese Appetizer
- Bang Bang Shrimp-Bonefish Grill Copycat Recipe
This recipe post was updated on November 8, 2021.