Rhubarb is in season! Go out and get some and make this rhubarb mango salsa. This sour, springtime vegetable is a wonderful treat for anyone that savors its unique flavor. Mix it with strawberries or apples to make a great tasting, tart dessert.
MaryJo likes to go out and cut some off and eat it raw with salt. There are so many possibilities with this fruity vegetable. Rhubarb mango salsa is one of them.
Kim Ode, a friend of MaryJo’s who is a writer and food editor for The Minneapolis Star Tribune is the inspiration for this dish and she published a cookbook dedicated to the rhubarb plant and its many uses. Her book is “Rhubarb Renaissance.” She has lots of recipes, savory or sweet, using this tart springtime veggie. Rhubarb pies to rhubarb wine! The whole culinary gamut of rhubarb is in the book! If you have rhubarb in your garden or growing wildly against your house foundation, you should have this cookbook.
Mangos must be in season too because our grocery had them for .88 cents each. Too good a price to pass up the chance to make Kim’s Mango Rhubarb Salsa, page 33 in her paperback edition.
Chop the veggies into 1/4 inch pieces and mix together and serve with your favorite grilled or fried fish. This Rhubarb Mango Salsa is a great accompaniment to any fish.
We ate it tonight with seared tuna and it was wonderful. Try it because fresh rhubarb only lasts so long, (unless you freeze it as Kim suggests).
Try it…you deserve it. And get Kim’s Rhubarb Renaissance cookbook.
Rhubarb Mango Salsa
- 1 ripe mango cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 medium rhubarb stalks cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 red pepper , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fine chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 large jalapeno pepper , seeds removed and very finely minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Mix ingredients on a bowl and refrigerate and give time for the ingredient's flavors to meld.
- Nutrition information based on 4, 1/2 cup servings.
- Recipe from "Rhubarb Renaissance" by Kim Ode.
This recipe post was updated on December 9, 2021.