This cold mango pasta salad would be a perfect accompaniment to any meal in the coming summer months. It’s refreshing and citrusy with a nice mango sweetness to it.
Here in Florida, they are practically giving mangos away this month, (not really…4 for $5.00). That’s a good deal though. Mango is a perfect addition to a cold, summery salad. Or, pick up some mango and make a delicious mango salsa like my rhubarb mango salsa. I’ve read that 70% of the mangos grown in the U.S. or imported are available from April to July so they should be readily available right now.
I made the mango pasta salad using mostly vegetables I already had in the house. Like red cabbage that has been around awhile. Grape tomatoes that I bought when they were buy one get one free. Part of a red onion from a couple days before. Frozen corn from the ice box.
The dressing is a simple citrusy vinaigrette with olive oil, white wine vinegar and lemon juice. I mixed this up in the early afternoon and refrigerated it for a couple hours and found that the flavors melded together beautifully with the time in the fridge.
We ate this with fresh speckled sea trout that a neighbor of ours caught that very morning. I did a simple batter of Shore Lunch breading mix on the fish and it was delicious with the mango pasta salad.
Pick up a mango or two and savor the sweetness of this delicious fruit. And think of making this simple mango pasta salad for a summertime meal.
Cold Mango Pasta Salad
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 5 oz . rotini or other style pasta of choice , cooked per directions, drained and cooled
- 1 mango , peeled and diced into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup frozen corn , thawed
- 3 scallions , coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced red onion , (about 1/4 of a red onion)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes , cut in half
- 1/4 cup coarse chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Shake or whisk ingredients together to emulsify and re-shake or whisk before adding to the salad.
- Fold all ingredients together in a bowl, add the dressing and mix to fully coat.
- Refrigerate for 1 or 2 hours to meld flavors for best taste.
- Serve cold