MaryJo and I have chicken a couple times a week. It is tasty and low calorie and can be prepared in a number of ways. Grilled or sauteed…whatever. This being Mother’s Day though, I thought that I would kick it up a notch and make a special treat. Baked pecan crusted chicken.
Oven Baking Chicken Breasts
Usually, I bake chicken by turning on the oven, seasoning the chicken, and throwing it in for 20 minutes. This dish though takes an extra 10 minutes to prepare and tastes so good! The chicken comes out moist and has a complex flavor that is chock full of goodness, especially when combined with a honey mustard sauce
Being so wonderful it made the Dad a hero on Mother’s Day! Yeah! Served with a salad and mashed sweet potatoes. Yum!
Mom really liked it.
Getting back to the chicken…start by finely chopping up some pecans and a piece of white bread. Season the chicken with salt and pepper then coat with garlic powder infused flour. Drench in an egg wash, then coat with the chopped pecan mixture.
Your chicken should look something like this when placed on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Eassssy!
Throw it in a 375-degree oven for 20 minutes, turning it over once. (You can check the temperature of the chicken with an instant-read thermometer which should read around 145 to 150-degrees).
Take it out of the oven and cover with foil for 5 minutes, then serve. Drizzle some honey mustard sauce on the chicken and enjoy.
The honey mustard sauce really finishes off the flavors of the chicken. Either drizzle it over the breast as shown, or have a small bowl on the side for dipping. Baked pecan crusted chicken breast has buckets of flavor.
Here are some more tasty recipes to try:
- Grilled Herb Crusted Chicken Breast
- Stove-top Italian Chicken Recipe
- Frico Cheese Crisps
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
Baked Pecan Crusted Chicken
- 2 or 3 boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 slice hearty white bread , crust removed
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
Honey mustard sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp spicy mustard
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place pecans and bread in food processor and chop finely.
- In three separate shallow bowls place mixed flour and garlic powder, beaten eggs, and chopped pecan mixture.
- Season breasts with salt and pepper. Place breasts in flour to coat, then dredge in egg wash and place in pecan mixture to coat. Put the breasts in the oven for ten minutes, flip them, and bake another ten minutes.
- Check internal temperature. It should be 145° F or greater.
- Remove from oven and cover with foil for 5 minutes to rest. Serve warm with honey mustard sauce.
Honey mustard sauce
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use
This recipe post has been updated on December 8, 2021.
I made this, used Panko crumbs instead of bread slice. This is an amazing and easy recipe, have saved it to my “keeper” file.
Thanks Lyn. Panko bread crumbs are a great replacement in this recipe. I love chicken with pecans. Great flavor.
I am making this dish for the second time. Today I’m using turkey cutlets. We loved it. I am so happy to have the honey mustard recipe. Thanks so much.
Thanks for the nice comment Patricia.
We frequently eat chicken and this recipe is a wonderful addition to the ones I currently use. Love this ❤
Thanks for the comment Nadine. I’m really glad you like it!
This chicken is really moist and the honey mustard sauce takes it right over the top!