MaryJo and I have chicken a couple times a week. It is tasty and low calorie and can be prepared in a number of ways. Grilled or sauteed…whatever. This being Mother’s Day though, I thought that I would kick it up a notch and make a special treat. Baked pecan crusted chicken.
Usually I bake chicken by turning on the oven, seasoning the chicken and throwing it in for 20 minutes. This dish though, takes an extra 10 minutes to prepare and tastes so good! The chicken comes out moist and has a complex flavor that is chock full of goodness, especially when combined with a honey mustard sauce
Being so wonderful it made the Dad a hero on Mother’s Day! Yeah! Served with a salad and mashed sweet potatoes. Yum!
Mom really liked it.
And since it was Mother’s Day, I had to show the beautiful flowers that our daughters had delivered. Mom loves them everyone! Thanks Kris, Katy, Josie, Amy, and Karen, and their fellas Dan, Micah, and James!
Getting back to the chicken…start by finely chopping up some pecans and a piece of white bread. Season the chicken with salt and pepper then coat with garlic powder infused flour. Drench in an egg wash, then coat with the chopped pecan mixture.
Your chicken should look something like this when placed on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Eassssy!
Throw it in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, turning it over once. (You can check the temperature of the chicken with an instant read thermometer which should read around 150 degrees).
Take it out of the oven and cover with foil for 5 minutes, then serve. Drizzle some honey mustard sauce on the chicken and…
Baked Pecan Crusted Chicken
- 2 or 3 boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 slice hearty white bread , crust removed
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
Honey mustard sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp spicy mustard
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place pecans and bread in food processor and chop finely
- In three separate shallow bowls place mixed flour and garlic powder, beaten eggs, and chopped pecan mixture.
- Season breasts with salt and pepper
- Place breasts in flour to coat, then dredge in egg wash and place in pecan mixture to coat.
- Place breasts on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking oil
- Put in oven for ten minutes, flip them, and bake another ten minutes.
- Check internal temperature
- Remove from oven and cover with foil for 5 minutes
Honey mustard sauce
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use