Sometimes you just need a delicious, (and filling), breakfast or lunchtime sandwich. I have always loved egg sandwiches. Even as a 10 year old kid, it was something I could make on my own.
Cheese sandwich-making came a bit later since it was a little more complicated than frying an egg. My cheese sandwiches, starting out, consisted of Wonder bread and Velveeta cheese. Really gourmet!
And there was something that my grandmother used to do with cheese sandwiches. She would spread a layer of Miracle Whip on the top slice of bread and that is something I frequently do now.
If you’d like to kick it up a notch for lunch, combine the two into one sandwich and make a cheese and fried egg sandwich!
This sandwich is a little calorie heavy so I don’t recommend you have it on a regular basis, unless you’re in the practice of taking a 15 mile bike ride every day. The two would pretty much cancel each other out!
The sandwich is kind of similar to an Egg McMuffin, except that it’s not so dry and lifeless that you have to dunk it into your milk to eat it! (Can you tell that I not a big fan of the McMuffin sandwich)? It’s plenty flavorful and dripping with goodness, like the best cheese sandwich you’ve ever had.
I used two cheeses on this sandwich, Gruyere and Monterrey jack. Both of these are nice melting cheeses. You can use whatever cheese you’d like as long as it is nice and melty.
I’ve tried the egg sunny side up and over easy. Both ways end up getting cooked more in the sandwich, so if you’d like a juicy egg yolk, you might have to modify the cooking technique.
In order for the cheese to get properly melted without burning the bread, I nuke the cheese on the bread slice for 15 or 20 seconds to give it a nice head start. This works really well.
I keep the butter usage down by frying the egg with cooking spray on the pan and using 1/2 tablespoon or less butter on each bread slice. I find it easiest to melt the butter in the pan and then put the bread in. The bread will soak up enough butter to brown up beautifully.
Pour yourself an ice-cold glass of milk and settle down with your cheese and fried egg sandwich.
Here Are Some More Tasty Recipes To Try:
- Cheesy Hot Tuna Sandwiches
- Grilled Caprese Salad Sandwich
- Salmon Patty Sandwiches
- Breakfast Sandwich with Buttermilk Biscuits
- 30 Minute Basil Chicken Sandwich
Cheese and Fried Egg Sandwich
- 2 slices of bread of your choice
- 2 oz . cheese , any cheese that melts well, Gruyere, jack, cheddar, swiss
- 1 lg. egg
- 1 tbsp butter
- cooking spray
- Spray a small skillet with cooking spray and fry the egg to your liking, remove to a plate
- Slice the cheese and place a layer on both slices of bread
- Place each individually into the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds until the cheese starts to soften
- Melt 1/2 tbsp butter in the same skillet on medium heat and add one of the bread slices (cheese side up), cook until browned, 1 1/2 minutes
- Place the cooked egg and the second slice of bread with softened cheese on top of the slice in the skillet
- Use a spatula to lift the sandwich, then add another 1/2 tbsp butter to the pan and gently turn the uncooked bread slice into the skillet, cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until browned
- Serve the hot sandwich right away