Grilling season is starting and no better way to enjoy it than making a grilled Caprese salad sandwich. It contains all the ingredients in a Caprese salad but gets kicked up with a toasted baguette and grilled veggies. The toasted bread gets a spread of mayo and pesto and everything gets a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Make this for a party and pass out plenty of napkins!
For a Memorial Day cookout, nothing could be easier. Slice up some tomatoes and onions, brush them with a little olive oil and throw them on the grill. Next, do the same with the baguette and get a good char on the bread.
Spread the toasted bread with a mayo/basil pesto mixture and start assembling your open-faced deliciousness. Tear off some fresh mozzarella then start stacking that with the grilled tomato and onion. Try to make it so you’ll get a little of each item in every bite. Top it all off with some torn basil and parsley and drizzle on some good balsamic vinegar.
To eat this, you may want to slice off some mouth-sized pieces. If you are more macho, grab the whole thing and start eating. Either way, this is one delicious meal.
I hope that you’ll try this grilled Caprese salad sandwich.
Have a safe summer and happy grilling!
HERE ARE SOME MORE TASTY RECIPES TO TRY:
- Cucumber balsamic Caprese salad
- Cheese and fried egg sandwich
- Grilled green tomatoes
- Cheesy hot tuna sandwiches
- Potato focaccia bread with caramelized onions
Grilled Caprese Salad Sandwich
- 1 baguette , sliced lengthwise and halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp basil pesto , (I used Cost-co, Kirkland brand)
- 1 red onion , 1/4" sliced
- 3 or 4 medium tomatoes , 3/8" sliced
- 8 oz . fresh mozzarella
- black pepper
- fresh basil
- fresh Italian parsley
- balsamic vinegar
- Start your grill (gas or charcoal)
- Mix mayonnaise and pesto in a small bowl and refrigerate until used
- Brush tomato and onion slices with olive oil, and season with black pepper
- Place on hot grill until charred, 1 to 3 minutes
- Turn and season with additional pepper and char the second side
- Place the charred veggies on a plate
- Lightly brush some olive oil on the baguette, then place on the grill.
- Get a good toast on the bread, 30 to 45 seconds depending on the heat of the grill. Carefully hold the bread down if necessary to get an even toast,then remove from the grill.
- Spread the cut surface of the toasted baguette with the mayo/pesto sauce.
- Assemble the sandwich with torn mozzarella pieces, grilled tomato and grilled onion.
- Top with torn fresh basil and flat-leaf parsley
- Finish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar