Here’s a healthy salad you can put together in no time and it tastes so darned good. Kale salad with cranberry orange dressing.
Amy’s garden needs to be thinned out, and there are 3 or 4 dinosaur kale plants that she planted. On it’s own, this kale is a little bitter tasting, but combined with the citrus and cranberries it mellows out and is delicious. I washed and removed the stems on 8 or 9 big leaves and chopped them into bite sized pieces and ended up with about 8 cups of kale.
The cranberry and orange dressing is a hot dressing as the cranberries, garlic and red onion are sauteed in olive oil, then the orange juice, zest, vinegar, and honey get added at the end. I had slivered almonds which I lightly toasted on the stove top to use as a crunchy topping. Craisins (dried cranberries) are what I used, but you could also use fresh cranberries. Just cook them in the olive oil for 5 or 6 minutes before adding the garlic and onions. Then cook for another 3 to 4 minutes to soften the onion.
You can toss this together and serve it warm or let it cool to room temperature. Since kale is such a sturdy green and doesn’t wilt like lettuce, you could store the salad in the refrigerator for a couple hours before eating.
If you are into eating kale, give this cranberry orange dressing a try. It’s very tasty. Here’s the recipe.
Kale Salad with Cranberry Orange DressingPrint Pin Rate
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 red onion , sliced vertically into slivers
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds or sliced almonds
- 8 cups chopped kale (one bunch)
- In a large skillet on medium heat, place the olive oil, garlic, cranberries and red onion and saute until the onion is softened but still has some body to it, (3 to 4 minutes).
- Add the orange juice, zest, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale with the dressing until fully coated.
- Serve warm or at room temperature topped with slivered almonds.