Here are 8 dinner ideas with hamburger and potatoes. Each one gives a unique spin on hamburger meat and potatoes.
I hope that this blog post can help you with meal planning, especially on those nights when you don’t really know what to make for dinner. Try one of these tasty recipes. One of these may turn out to be one of your family favorites.
In our house, we always have ground beef and potatoes on hand.
Hamburger gets purchased in the big family packs that are 5 or 6 pounds. The hamburger is then divided up into one-pound packs.
We have a Food Saver, (#ad), that vacuum seals meat into a plastic bag.
The meat gets pressed down to about a one-half inch thickness and then sealed. Since the pack is so thin, it thaws out in less than an hour.
It’s a great way to have a simple dinner ready in no time.
#1 Hamburger Gravy and Potatoes by Joe
I make hamburger gravy fairly often and it is usually because I can’t think of anything else. And, as I say, we have the ingredients on hand.
The trouble is, I never make it the same way each time. So this time, the ingredients were written down and measurements noted.
Easy Recipe Ingredients
- Lean ground beef
- Yellow onion
- Garlic clove
- Beef broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- Beef bouillon base
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
How To Make the Gravy
The first thing to do is prepare the potatoes and get them boiling. They will take longer to cook.
I like to use either russet potatoes or Yukon gold for mashed potatoes.
Boil the potatoes until they are soft. Then drain the water and add butter and half and half.
Mash them until they are smooth and cover to keep warm.
* * * * *
Use a large skillet on medium heat and add the ground beef and onions. Cook and break up the hamburger into small pieces.
Once the meat has browned, remove any excess grease with a spoon. If you use lean hamburger then there shouldn’t be much if any to remove.
Next, add the butter and flour and stir them in to combine and cook off the flour taste. This should take just a couple of minutes.
Then add the beef broth and cream and stir to make a gravy. Lower the heat to medium-low and stir in the remainder of the ingredients, minus the parsley which will be a garnish.
Let this simmer for 4 or 5 minutes to reduce a bit. Then remove the skillet from the heat and serve right away.
If the gravy reduces too much and becomes thick, just add a bit more broth or water to loosen.
Serve the hamburger gravy and potatoes hot with your choice of side dishes.
This is an easy dinner recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
(Scroll down for the Recipe Card)
#2 Easy Ground Beef and Potatoes by Nikki at Soulfully Made
This is a hamburger potato casserole recipe with melty cheese. It is made with ingredients you probably have at home right now. Get the recipe here.
#3 Ground Beef and Potatoes by Erin at Well Plated
Scrumptious one pan hamburger and potato meal with perfect seasonings and a variety of ways to serve it. Get the recipe here.
#4 Hamburger Potato Casserole Recipe by Alexa at Key To My Lime
Delicious, over-the-top scalloped potato, ground beef, and cheese casserole. This recipe is no-nonsense natural ingredients and a dinner that will be ready in under an hour. Get the recipe here.
#5 Loaded Ground Beef and Potatoes Skillet by Mason at Mason Fit-Kinda Healthy Recipes
Lean ground beef, bacon, and thinly sliced baby potatoes get layered into a single oven-safe skillet and baked to perfection. This is a must-try recipe. Get the recipe here.
#6 Hamburger Potato Casserole with Cheddar Cheese by Carrie at Talking Meals
This is a perfect weeknight family dinner that is simple to make and can even be made ahead of time and baked when needed. And it has the perfect combination of ingredients. Get the recipe here.
#7 One-Skillet Cheesy Ground Beef and Potatoes by Brianne at Cupcakes and Kale Chips
This is a comforting skillet meal with ground beef, potatoes, cheese, and Greek yogurt. You could be eating this in less than an hour. Get the recipe here.
#8 Instant Pot Beef and Cheesy Potatoes by Sarah at Sidetracked Sarah
This is a classy beef and potatoes dish made in an electric pressure cooker. It is easy to assemble and 20 minutes in the Instant Pot is all it takes. Perfect dinner for a busy family. Get the recipe here.
**To pin any of the guest photos to your Pinterest board, please click on the “Get the Recipe” link to the desired photo.
I hope you find these dinner ideas with hamburger and potatoes handy. Bookmark this page for easy access to some great meal ideas.
Dinner Ideas with Hamburger and Potatoes - Hamburger Gravy and Potatoes
- 1 lbs. 92% lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. beef bouillon base, (Better than Bouillon or Knorr beef cubes) optional
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- chopped parsley, for garnish optional
- 3 lbs. russet or gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tsp salt, for potato water
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup half and half, This is an estimate as you may need more or less than this.
- Place the chopped potatoes into a large saucepan and add cold water until it is about 1" over the potatoes. Add the salt to the water and cover the pan with a lid and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and remove the lid. Cook the potatoes at a slow boil for 10 to 14 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and keep them in the pan then add the butter and some of the half and half. Mash the potatoes with a masher or use a hand mixer to mash them. Add more cream until you reach your desired consistency. Put the lid back on the potatoes and keep warm.
- Using a large skillet on medium heat, add the ground beef and onion and cook while breaking up the beef into small pieces. Cook until the meat is all browned. Push the meat to one side of the skillet and tilt the pan to allow any grease to pool. Remove any grease with a spoon.
- Next, add the 2 tablespoons of butter and sprinkle the flour over the beef. Stir the flour into the meat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and cream and stir to form a gravy. Now add the remaining ingredients, (not the parsley). Bring the gravy to a boil to reduce slightly, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Serve the hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes and garnish with parsley.
- Nutrition information is based on 1 cup of mashed potatoes and 1/6th of the gravy. If you have growing teenagers, you may have to adjust the serving size.
- If the gravy becomes too thick, just add 3 or 4 tablespoons of beef broth or water.
- Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a microwave oven.
- You can substitute egg noodles or rice for the potatoes. It would be just as delicious.
This was delish! And convenient! It’s going in the monthly rotation! Thank you!
Thanks for finding my website and giving the recipe a try. I’m really pleased that you liked it.
Thankyou Joe for your hamburger, gravy, and mashed potato recipe. It arrived at the perfect time at our house. Not only did the recipe call for ingredients that were readily on hand in our pantry, the resulting meal was delicious, and since I am in the process of getting a couple of teeth replaced, the meal was quite easy to chew. Thanks also for all of those other recipes, we plan to try some of those soon.
I’m so glad you liked the recipe. Get well soon. The other recipes are really good.
What an awesome round-up of recipes!!!
Something there for everyone.