I’m about to cover this vegetarian minestrone soup with fresh parmesan cheese. You could be doing the same in about 35 minutes! This is a kicked up version of your mundane minestrone soup and it’s so easy to make.
I love easy, hearty recipes and this certainly fills the bill. It’s the perfect thing for a Fall meal.
Just the good stuff goes into this soup. Fresh vegetables and a great combination of spices. What takes this over the top though, is a little bit of smoked paprika. You’ll just about forget that this is a vegetarian soup because of the slight amount of smoky flavor.
If you have leftovers, this would be perfect to take to school or work in a thermos or put it in a microwave for a minute. It’s a super healthy meal and has lots of protein, vitamins and iron and not too many calories.
It’s a hot, late summer day here in Minneapolis, but soon enough fall will come in earnest. Some other soup ideas to make would be fresh vegetable provencal soup, chorizo white bean soup, or homemade tomato bisque.
If you are planning ahead, bake a loaf of your favorite bread. That would be delicious.
Tangy vegetarian minestrone soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika,
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 5 cups vegetable broth, (or 4 cups broth, 1 cup water) I used Better than Bouillon vegetable base, 4 tsp. in 5 cups hot water
- 1 15.5 oz. can cannellini beans drained
- 1 14.5 oz, can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup orzo
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- grated parmesan
- Place olive oil, onion, carrots, celery and garlic into a dutch oven or stock pot and cook on medium heat 10 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Next, add the spices, beans, tomatoes and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Add the orzo and cook 9 or 10 minutes, until the orzo is tender.
- Lower the heat, then add the spinach, and stir in to wilt, 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, (paprika and salt).
- Serve hot with grated parmesan and a nice crusty bread.