“I don’t always make clam dip, but when I do, I use the secret ‘Boyle Family Recipe’. Enjoy in moderation and stay thirsty my friends.”
This is the appetizer our family always has when we get together. Clam dip appetizer is easy to make and quite tasty with rippled chips.
My dad got the recipe from somewhere, too long ago to remember. It was the one thing that he would make, (and sometimes fried eggs and bacon).
The recipe may have evolved some. Cans of minced clams seemed to contain more way back when, than they do now. Today we put in two cans of clams per 8 ounces of cream cheese.
The easiest way to make the clam dip up is to use a hand mixer but I have even used a stand mixer in a pinch.
Mix up some clam dip and serve right away with potato chips, or refrigerate overnight for flavors to meld.
There you have the secret Boyle Family clam dip. Don’t tell a soul or we’ll have to kill you!
- 2- 8 oz . pkgs. cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 cans minced clams , drained and the liquid reserved
- 1 small white onion , grated, 2 or 3 tbsp
- 3 shakes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Place cream cheese, onion, worcestershire sauce and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer.
- Add reserved clam juice, about 1 tbsp at a time until the dip is smooth and creamy,
- Add clams and mix until incorporated
- Serve chilled with potato chips