Yesterday, MaryJo had a late afternoon dental appointment and I wasn’t sure how she would feel after it. I just figured that something soft would be best, so I made this Tex-Mex style quinoa brown rice grain bowl.
Ingredients in a grain bowl could be just about anything you can think of. Basically you want a grain, vegetables, and protein to form a balanced meal. Add to that perhaps something with a crunch and then some contrasting flavors. A lot of these ingredients might be leftovers that you have in the fridge. You can pretty much use what you like.
The elements that I put together included: brown rice mixed with quinoa, chopped tomatoes, black beans with caramelized onions, avocados, green onion, cilantro, and soft boiled eggs. For some flavor enhancement, I drizzled some Ortega taco sauce on the rice/quinoa and beans, and put a large dollop of Herdez salsa in the middle to get mixed in with everything else. I topped the whole thing with a couple soft boiled eggs for additional protein.
Mix the ingredients together to your liking, and enjoy the great flavor combinations.
While we were eating I mentioned that I should have included some cut up fried tortilla strips for some crunch. Dang…I forgot about the crunch part! A little shredded cheddar cheese might be nice too.
All in all, this is a simple meal with some awesome flavor. MaryJo thought it was perfect for her still semi-numb mouth.
Next time you are in a quandary about what serve for supper, give this dish a thought. Tex-Mex quinoa brown rice grain bowl is delish.
Tex-Mex Quinoa Brown Rice Grain Bowl
Ingredients for one grain bowl
- 1/4 cup cooked white quinoa
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup black beans with caramelized onion
- 1/2 ripe avocado sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 plum tomato , seeds removed and diced
- 2 soft boiled eggs
- 1 tbsp taco sauce
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa and brown rice according to package instructions, (I used 1/2 cup of each and had a little over 1 cup leftover after 2 servings)
- Dice a medium onion and place in a skillet with 1 tbsp vegetable oil and cook on medium low heat while stirring occasionally to caramelize the onion, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Open a 14 oz. can of black beans and put in a strainer and rinse.
- Add the beans to the caramelized onion in the skillet and heat until warmed, 3 or 4 minutes, (there was about 3/4 cup of leftover beans and onion)
- Quarter a plum tomato lengthwise and use your thumb to remove the seeds, then dice.
- Slice 1/2 of a ripe avocado
- Boil 4 or 5 cups of water in a saucepan, then add eggs with a slotted spoon or small kitchen spider, and boil for 5 minutes for a runny yolk
- Remove the eggs with the slotted spoon and place in ice cold water for 30 seconds to cool slightly, then peel
- Assemble the grain bowl as desired, drizzle with taco sauce and lightly salt and pepper the dish.
- Garnish with green onion and cilantro
Recipe NotesThe nutrition information and ingredients are based on 1 serving.
I used regular brown rice which takes 40 or 45 minutes to cook. You may want to use a microwavable package of rice to dramatically save time making this.