I’m always looking for fast, but good tasting recipes, and this is one of those. This easy chicken enchilada skillet comes together in about 30 minutes give or take a few.
It’s not one of those enchilada dishes that require you to wrap cheese and meat into the tortilla shells then cover with more cheese and sauce and bake. This one incorporates all the ingredients in one skillet, but you’re getting the same great flavor. Just chop up the corn tortilla shells into bite sized pieces and add the rest of the ingredients, stir it all together and in about 20 minutes you’ll be eating.
If you are afraid that the Ro-Tel might be too spicy for you, not to worry. The dish has just the right amount of heat and in fact, if you like things kicked up, you may want to add some Tabasco or a hot pepper.
Another thing you might add would be some black beans. That would give some nice fiber and a good mouth feel. A half cup would contribute 15 grams of fiber and 20 grams of protein. It would also add about 80 calories per serving.
This chicken enchilada skillet is a great dish if you are pressed for time and need a satisfying meal. It is really a win-win recipe.
*Holiday Season Gift Idea
The cast iron skillet that I used to make this was a Lodge 10 1/4 inch. You can look at this inexpensive skillet by clicking on the link. If you would prefer to get the Cadillac of cast iron skillets, take a look at the LeCreuset, cherry red enameled skillet. My daughter has this pan and I fell in love with it when we stayed for the summer with her in Minnesota. Either skillet should last a lifetime.
Disclaimer: The above links are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase anything through these links, Joe’s Healthy Meals will make a small commission. Thank you very much!
- 6 5½" corn tortillas cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 can Ro-Tel Original tomatoes and green chilis
- 1½ cups enchilada sauce
- 9 oz. cooked chicken chopped to bite sized pieces
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- 2½ oz. grated cheddar cheese
- 3 oz. queso fresco Mexican crumbling cheese or similar cheese
- tortilla strips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- In an oven safe skillet on medium heat add the corn tortillas, Ro-Tel, enchilada sauce, chicken and corn and stir to combine and bring to a simmer
- Remove skillet from the heat and add the cheddar and queso fresco cheese
- Place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese is nicely melted
- Remove from the oven, garnish with chopped cilantro and tortilla strips
- Serve hot with cilantro and tortilla strips on the side used as desired