Quite a while back, I did a post on Bourbon Maple Glazed Carrots and included a few photos of this smoked salmon dill and capers appetizer.
I never did a follow up post on just the appetizer and I think it deserves it’s own day in the sun. It is so good and so easy. It’s a real elegant looking appetizer too, one that deserves a party.
Use Cold Smoked Salmon
I saw a nice package of smoked salmon on sale so I fixed MaryJo and me this great smoked salmon dill and capers appetizer that turned into half of our dinner. The salmon I used was Ducktrap, Scottish style Spruce Point, cold smoked Atlantic salmon.
Cold smoked salmon is smoked in very low temperature…like 80°F. It results in salmon that is tender and moist. It is sliced really thin and usually packaged in 3 or 4 ounce sizes.
Hot smoked salmon is the dry filet with firm flesh and tastes really good but is not a good fit for our delicate canape.
Making the smoked salmon and dill appetizer
The baguette that I used was an Italian 5 grain bread that Publix makes. First, you slice this pretty thin and toast it. Do it like you are in Italy, put olive oil on the bread and toast it in a skillet and you have got a crostini. Simple. Next comes the cream cheese.
I’ve seen similar appetizers where they mix up different ingredients in the cream cheese spread, but I keep it real simple. Just spread some plain old softened cream cheese on the crostini.
Believe me, there are enough flavors running through these couple of mouthfuls to keep your taste buds entertained. You really don’t need any more.
After that, lay on a sprig of fresh dill and place a few capers on the cheese. Fold up a slice of smoked salmon and push it into the cheese. Add a few more capers here and there…take pictures!…then eat.
The nice crunch of the toasted baguette compliments the softness of the cream cheese and moist salmon. The bit of saltiness from the capers and flavor of the fresh dill makes this a great appetizer.
This is really great for any occasion.
Hey. Did you make this recipe? Let me know if you liked it in the comment section below. Also, drop a photo on your Instagram and hashtag #joeshealthymeals. I love seeing what you guys are making.
If you are big into different appetizers, you may like to try these too:
- Crab Cake Appetizers
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Grilled Shrimp Kabobs
- Pepper Jelly with Cream Cheese
- Caribbean Salt Cod Fritters
Smoked Salmon Dill and Capers Appetizer
- 8 pieces of baguette , thinly sliced
- 2 tsp . extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz . cream cheese
- fresh dill weed
- 1/4 c . drained capers
- 3 oz . thin sliced smoked salmon , (Ducktrap River Spruce point Scottish style smoked salmon, 4 oz. pkg)
- Heat a heavy skillet on medium heat
- Brush both sides of the baguette slices with olive oil and place in the dry skillet.
- Toast until the desired char is achieved, about 2 mins.
- Turn and toast the second side, 2 mins
- Spread each toasted baguette with cream cheese.
- Add a sprig of dill and 4 or 5 capers
- Top with a slice of smoked salmon
- Add a few more capers on each
- Serve warm or at room temperature