Instant pot mushroom vegetable wild rice soup is a hearty, tasty dinner that cooks itself in your pressure cooker.
Vegetable Wild Rice Soup
MaryJo and I are back up in Minnesota for the summer and Minnesota is the home of wild rice, (along with Canada which has a lot of wild rice). It is something that is sometimes hard to find in certain parts of the country but worth the effort to get ahold of some.
Most of the wild rice found in stores is farmed and cultivated to get the most yield year after year. It has a hard, black outer sheath and requires plenty of cooking time…like 1 hour or more, to make it soft. If you can find the “real,” hand harvested wild rice, it has a much softer sheath and is brown in color. This wild rice takes 15 minutes to cook. Big difference. I did another wild rice recipe, Creamy Ham Wild Rice Soup, where you can find lots more interesting facts about wild rice.
This recipe calls for the cultivated rice, since it’s most prevalent. It cooks beautifully in your pressure cooker and in 45 minutes it will be soft and savory good.
And I know you won’t tell anyone, but there are a couple strips of chopped up, crispy bacon strips in this soup…just to give a little extra umami, which is rich, wholesome flavoring.
You should serve this mushroom vegetable wild rice soup with some crusty bread for an exceptional dinner.
Instant Pot Mushroom Vegetable Wild Rice Soup
- 1 lbs wild rice black sheathed cultivated
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup carrots, diced 2 carrots
- 1 cup yellow onions, diced 1/2 large onion
- 1 cup celery, diced 2 stalks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 thick cut bacon strips, fried crispy and chopped
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk or substitute non-fat,1%, or 2%
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients, (except the butter, flour, milk, and extra salt and pepper) to the Instant pot and stir to combine. Select pressure cook, high pressure and set the timer for 45 minutes. Do a quick release of pressure and remove lid.
- Next, select saute, add the butter and stir to melt. Add the flour and let cook for 2 minutes. Add the milk and stir. Bring to a boil then turn off the Instant pot. Taste and adjust seasonings.