Tomatoey vodka sauce is one of my favorites and one that I don’t make often enough. This time I made it and threw in some gulf shrimp to make shrimp penne with vodka sauce.
Quite a while ago I did a post on Penne with Vodka Sauce. It’s a tasty but time consuming recipe involving oven baking the sauce for quite a while. This vodka sauce is similar but with no oven time. Just reduce the sauce for a while on the stovetop. Much easier.
The shrimp in this recipe pairs well with the richness of the sauce. And the shrimp is so easy to cook right in the sauce.
At the same time that I was making our dinner, MaryJo was baking bread to have with our meal and to use in a post for MJ Bakes a Lot. Her recipe is right here. MaryJo sliced and buttered some of her bread, and I toasted it on the stovetop in a cast iron griddle. The combination of the shrimp, pasta and bread was amazing.
For this recipe I cut down the quantity so you’re not making a half gallon of sauce. This makes maybe a quart which is enough for 4 or 5 people. Since the sauce is so good, I’m saying 4. Give it a try.
Shrimp Penne with Vodka Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 28 oz . can San Marzano tomatoes , chopped or whole
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan plus more for garnish
- 1 to 1 1/4 lbs. shrimp , 21 to 30 size, peeled, deveined, tail off
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz . penne pasta , cooked al dente according to package directions
- In a large sauce pan on medium heat, add oil, onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, red pepper flakes and vodka being careful not to flame the vodka.
- Stir and simmer about 20 minutes until the sauce has reduced about 25%.
- Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the sauce, (you can also use a blender or a food processor).
- Put the pot back on medium heat and stir in the cream and parmesan cheese.
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as you see fit.
- While still on the heat, add the shrimp and let them cook for 2 or 3 minutes until nearly opaque.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and let the shrimp finish for another minute, then add the cooked pasta.
- Stir together and serve hot.