Creamy White Chicken Chili
Delicious, protein-packed white chicken chili, perfect for Fall weather.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, boneless, skinless, diced to 1/2 inch pieces (3 breasts)
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, (I used Better than Bouillon, chicken base)
- 3 15 oz cans Great northern beans, or cannellini beans, rinsed, 1 can mashed
- 2 4.5 oz. cans chopped green chilis
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
In a dutch oven or stock pot, add the oil, chopped onion and chicken pieces and cook on medium heat 12 to 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and not pink,
Next, add all other ingredients except the cream and sour cream, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, 30 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream to combine, then add the heavy cream. Serve hot with garnish of your choice, (cheese, tortilla or corn chips, jalapeno pepper)
- To mash 1 can of beans, put them into a small bowl and use a fork to mash them. Or, place the beans into a food processor with 1/2 cup of chicken broth and puree by pulsing 4 or 5 times.
- Garnishes are optional but they add texture and flavor and are highly recommended.
- This recipe was first published in September, 2018.
- Recipe adapted from Garrett Doucette, Upsala, Minnesota.