Easy Stovetop Baked Beans
Super flavorful easy stovetop baked beans take less than 45 minutes to make and your family will love them.
Servings 6 servings
- 3 cans Navy beans, drained
- 10 oz. thick sliced bacon, diced
- 1 med. onion, finely chopped around 1 cup
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced around 1 cup
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp ground mustard seed
In a large sauce pan or dutch oven cook the bacon on medium high temperature until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisped, 6 to 8 minutes.
Lower the heat to medium and add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, 4 minutes.
Add the beans and remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes to prevent sticking.
Serve hot as a side dish.
- Cannellini, pinto beans, or great northern beans can be substituted for navy beans.
- Dry beans could also be used. Soak beans in water overnight then simmer them for 1 to 2 hours to desired tenderness. 1 pound of dry beans, (2 cups), equals 6 to 7 cups cooked. Drain and use them per recipe instructions. 3 cans of navy beans is about 5 1/4 cups drained.
- I used bacon custom cut in a butcher shop which was 3/8 inches thick then diced. 3 slabs was 10 ounces. Any thick cut bacon can be used.
- To reduce the calories per serving, use less bacon. You will still get a nice flavor. Using 5 ounces of bacon will reduce the calories per serving by nearly 100 calories.
- If the beans seem too thick after cooking, add more water 1/4 cup at a time.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat in the microwave and add a bit more water if necessary.