Tex-Mex Ground Beef Casserole
The key to this is using a lot of Rotel tomatoes and green chilies for heat and blending ingredients to make a low calorie main dish that tastes amazing.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 lbs . 93% lean ground beef
- 1/2 large onion , chopped
- 1 1/2 medium red bell peppers , chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 oz . Barilla cellentani pasta
- 2 10 oz . cans Rotel original tomatoes and green chiles
- 3/4 cup canned black beans , rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 6 oz . grated sharp cheddar cheese , 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350°
Place chopped onion, red bell peppers and vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium to medium high heat and cook for 5 minutes, then save in a large mixing bowl.
Use the same skillet to fully brown the ground beef, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add the corn, black beans and Rotel to the meat to heat, 2 minutes, then place in the bowl with the vegetables.
Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water about 10 minutes just before it becomes al dente (Barilla recommends 11 minutes for al dente), drain and place in the mixing bowl.
Mix the casserole ingredients together, taste and add salt and pepper, then place in a 3 quart oven safe casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking oil.
Top with grated cheddar cheese then bake for 35 minutes and the cheese has melted and the casserole has reached a temperature of 140°.
- The lean ground beef produces a lot of liquid when cooked which I spooned off. It's your choice to do so or not
Calories: 485kcal | Carbohydrates: 43.7g | Protein: 29.8g | Fat: 20.2g | Saturated Fat: 9.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.2g | Cholesterol: 74.9mg | Sodium: 586mg | Fiber: 4.9g | Sugar: 4.7g