Spaghetti carbonara is an overlooked pasta treat! I’ve made it several times before, with the help of MaryJo, and it is really easy. It just takes some preparation and timing. And, if you are trying to go low fat…forget it! This is full blown, bacon flavored pasta. Nuff said… This maybe is Joe’s not so healthy meal, so don’t plan on making this every week! Enjoy in moderation and have a big salad on the side!
I actually made this two times. Once for the evening meal and a half batch again the next morning, just to take photos. When I start to cook too late, the sun goes down and I really need natural light to take photos. I still try to get some photos to work, but they are not good! Started to do this post last night and told MaryJo that I cannot show you guys these pictures. They are bad.
I’ll give you an example of what I mean….Look below. Last night’s meal in incandescent light.
This photo is pretty lifeless. Even after editing as much as I could, this is yellow and icky! The carbonara, which included shrimp, was good though!
See the photo above. I’d eat that! Sunlight always wins.
The second time around was actually better since I added some ingredients that made it better. Specifically, a little thai pepper that my friend Manny gave me to use. One little thai pepper that I threw in while browning the bacon gave the spaghetti carbonara just a little heat that really enhanced the flavor. That and a chopped green onion to give a little crunch. If you can’t find thai peppers, a jalepeno pepper that is halved and the seeds removed could be added while you brown the bacon. Remove the pepper before you finish the dish.
It only takes around 30 minutes to put this to together and you will think that you are eating in a fancy Italian restaurant. Good stuff!
Spaghetti CarbonaraPrint Pin Rate
- 6 slices thick cut bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1 thai chili (whole) or jalepeno pepper (halved and seeded)
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 green onions , chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 10 oz . spaghetti
- 3 large. eggs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese , more for garnish if desired
- 1/2 cup grated romano cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup reserved pasta water
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- In a large skillet, add olive oil, 1/4 cup water, bacon, garlic, thai chili and one chopped green onion
- Cook on medium heat until the liquid has evaporated and the bacon is browned, remove the garlic and chili when done. Remove 1 or 2 tbsp bacon for garnish.
- Keep the skillet on low heat.
- While the bacon is browning, mix the egg, cheese, parsley and black pepper in a medium sized bowl.
- Drain the pasta and reserve 1/3 to 1/2 cup water.
- Place the pasta in the skillet.
- Whisk the hot pasta water into the bowl of egg and cheese to make the sauce and then pour the mixture into the skillet with the pasta.
- Stir the ingredients together and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with extra bacon, green onion, and cheese for garnish