Hardy and healthy, kale and wild rice salad with pomegranate dressing! Crunchy kale accented with toasted walnuts, asian pear, dried cranberries and of course wild rice. This results in a lot of interesting flavors that compliment each other beautifully. And the pomegranate dressing is killer.
The dressing is actually made with pomegranate molasses. You can buy the pomegranate molasses but it is hard to find. You can easily make your own…4 cups pomegranate juice, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Bring to a boil then simmer until you have about 1 cup left. This takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Just be careful toward the end that you monitor the molasses so it does not burn. The temperature of the molasses when finished was 240°. Mary Jo started this and after an hour and ten minutes, we actually got out a cup measure to see how close we were to finishing with a cup of liquid. We had a cup and about 2 tablespoons and figured that another 8 minutes would do it. The results are a thick, sweet, but tart, pomegranate molasses. And it gives this dressing it’s wonderful flavor.
The wild rice is another flavor enhancer in this salad. It is cooked and overcooked. An hour and twenty minutes in boiling water! This results in a smoother textured wild rice that is not so chewy and actually is like a sponge in the salad to soak up all the goodness of the dressing.
The Asian pear and the pomegranate molasses dressing…the toasted walnuts and the pomegranate molasses dressing…the craisins, (dried cranberries), and the dressing. You get my drift. All this good stuff mixed in with some crunchy kale pieces and baby spinach. They compliment each other so well and result in a salad that is extraordinary.
Grab some POM juice and boil it down and make yourself some pomegranate molasses. It will keep in the fridge for up to 6 months. And I’m sure you could think up ways to use the molasses other than in salad. I think a dessert is in order!
Kale and Wild Rice Salad with Pomegranate DressingPrint Pin Rate
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chopped curly kale , ripped from stem and washed and dried
- 3 to 4 oz. coarse chopped baby spinach
- 1 Asian pear , 1/2 inch dice
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts , coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup Craisins , dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup wild rice , boiled to yield 1 1/4 cups cooked
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl, set aside
- Toss all ingredients in a large bowl
- Drizzle dressing over the salad until just coated.
- Serve with remaining dressing on the side