Holy zoodles zucchini noodles! Spiralized zucchini is all the rage now and it should be. Besides being a fun way to prepare the zucchini, it is also a great substitute for high calorie pasta.
Just make some of these healthy noodles and top them just like you would regular pasta. Think marinara sauce, and Alfredo sauce. Mix in a few more veggies and you have a pretty low calorie meal or side dish. I decided to mix in a little basil pesto to make a side dish.
Our daughter, Josie sent Mary Jo a Veggetti spiralizer for her birthday. You can take a look at one cold salad.
There’s lots of ways that you can cook these. Saute them in a skillet with a little olive oil, steam them, and I suppose you could just nuke them. I decided to boil them for a couple minutes then drain and add the pesto. You can make your own pesto or use prepared pesto from the grocery. I went the easy route and used store bought. That really makes this dish super easy.
One zucchini, some frozen peas, and grape tomatoes made enough for two servings. It turned out very tasty and satisfying. Pick yourself up a Veggetti spiralizer and make some zucchini noodles!
- 1 medium zucchini , spiraled into noodles
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 10 grape tomatoes , halved
- 3 tbsp basil pesto , (I used Kirkland brand from Cost-co)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- grated Parmesan cheese if desired
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a sauce pan and add the zucchini and peas.
- Boil for 2 minutes then strain to remove the water.
- Place vegetables back in the sauce pan and add pesto, salt and red pepper flakes, stirring to combine.
- Finally, add the tomatoes and lightly toss to combine.
- Serve hot and add a small bit of grated Parmesan if desired