I know that I’ve done roasted vegetables before, but this recipe post is different. This is Healthy Roasted Fall Vegetables…with a twist. We’re going to roast these yummy vegetables, serve them, but then make sure that there are leftovers to make this tasty vegetable hash.
This recipe is totally inspired from an article by Beth Dooley, in the Minneapolis paper. Each week, Beth usually shares a recipe and this article was just over the top in my mind. And I think you should all check out Beth’s newest book, “In Winter’s Kitchen.” She always uses the freshest ingredients and reminds us that…Healthy is always in style.
I went to Steve’s roadside market in Palm Harbor, Florida to pick up what I needed; carrots, parsnips, beets and acorn squash, $6.59 total.
I’d never cut up an acorn squash into cubes. The skin of the squash is quite tough. Cut the squash in half along the axis using a large, sharp knife. You may have to rock the knife slightly to get it to go through. Then, cut each of those in half at the equator. Continue slicing 1/2″ slices from those pieces. Once you have some 1/2″ strips, use your knife to cut away the skin, then cut into cubes. The other vegetables are easy to peel and cut up. I did the beets last and used a pair of throw away painters gloves to keep my hands from getting stained red. That worked great.
Beth’s article explained how she uses leftover roasted vegetables in soups, salads with a mustard vinaigrette, and for this healthy roasted fall vegetable hash. Use a heavy skillet with a little oil and brown the veggies up a little and serve with fried eggs for a wonderful breakfast or lunch. The vegetables have just the right amount of natural sweetness to make this a unique and satisfying meal.
Yummy healthy roasted fall vegetables. Perfect time of year to try this.
- 1 acorn squash , cleaned and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 large parsnips , peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 med. lg. carrots peeled and cubed
- 3 medium beets , peeled and cubed
- (2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed if desired)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Mix the cubed vegetables with the olive oil and salt in a large bowl
- Pre-heat two large sheet pans for 4 or 5 minutes in the 400° oven.
- Remove from the oven and spread 1/2 of the vegetables on each pan, trying to separate each of the pieces.
- Roast for 60 minutes, tossing a couple times
- Garnish with fresh thyme or chopped parsley