Last night, Mary Jo and I went to her cousin Alan and his wife Sue’s house for dinner and to catch up with what has been happening in their lives. We always share some laughs over a well prepared meal. As we were having a glass of wine on the patio, Sue brought out this deliciously easy appetizer for us to try. Grilled salami slices with a dab of sour cream with chopped basil garnish. That’s it! Super easy but elegant and so tasty. The grilled salami becomes a mouth pleasing crunch and the basil and sour cream are a perfect compliment to the saltiness of the salami. I was blown away by how great these appetizers looked and tasted and I knew that I had to share this immediately. I asked Sue how she came up with this and she thought that she saw Giada De Laurentiis make it on one of her shows but wasn’t sure. It looks like something that Giada would make.
This is the salami that I bought from the local Cub (Supervalue) store. 1 ounce of this salami is only 100 calories and 6 slices make 1 ounce. Add less than a teaspoon of sour cream that has 30 calories in a tablespoon and you get about 25 calories per salami appetizer. The salami is a little over 2 inches in diameter and once it is grilled, becomes stiff and crispy. Just right for easy serving and eating.
You have got to try this. Takes about 10 minutes to prepare and your family and friends will love it!
- Italian dry salami
- Sour cream
- Fresh basil leaves
- Heat a heavy pan on medium high heat, (I used my cast iron Lodge grill pan)
- Place the salami slices on the hot pan, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, turn and grill for another 2 1/2 to 3 minutes to brown
- Remove from heat and place on paper towels to absorb oil
- Let cool, then place a dab of sour cream on the salami
- Sprinkle with chopped basil
- Serve at room temperature