This easy chicken piccata is a flavorful and tasty dish that comes together in a very short time with citrus and buttery flavors and the briny taste of capers. Compliment this with a simple garlic pasta and you will have flavor heaven! Please…invite your friends!
I have made this several times in the past month and love the way it turns out. And chicken is a bargain these days. Mary Jo picked these up at Walmart and paid $1.99 per pound. It was a package of seven breasts, so we just put the remaining breasts in the freezer.
Start with a couple of big, fat chicken breasts and butterfly each one, then, separate the two halves. You will end up with 4 pieces of meat. A short video on how to do this is on YouTube from Taste of Home magazine. Generously salt and pepper both sides of the fillets and dredge them in flour. Fry them, two at a time, in a skillet on medium high for 3 minutes each side until the breasts are a golden brown. Remove from the pan to a plate and fry the remaining two breast halves, then add those to the plate.
(I used my cast iron skillet this time to make the easy chicken piccata because I thought it would look good in pictures. The other times that I’ve made this, I used my 12 inch non-stick pan. I think the dish turns out better in the non-stick pan).
The next step is adding the lemon juice and the broth to the hot skillet. Do this very slowly, as the hot oil will steam and spit. I even take the hot pan over to the kitchen sink and slowly add the cold liquid. Return to the heat and bring to a simmer.
Return the fried chicken to the simmering broth and cook uncovered for an additional 5 minutes. This will ensure that the chicken is cooked through and infused with the flavors of the lemon caper broth.
Serve the chicken with additional sauce on the side with pasta or rice.
This is delicious! Easy Chicken Piccata…
Easy Chicken PiccataPrint Pin Rate
- 2 large boneless , skinless, chicken breasts, butterflied and halved
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup brined capers. rinsed and drained
- fresh parsley , chopped for garnish
- Salt and pepper both sides of the butterflied chicken breasts
- Dredge breasts in the flour and shake off excess.
- In a heavy skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter and 3 tbsp olive oil on medium high heat
- Place 2 pieces of chicken in the hot skillet and fry for 3 minutes
- Turn and fry second side for 3 minutes
- Remove and place on a plate
- Add 1 tbsp butter to the pan and fry the remaining two breast pieces for 3 minutes per side
- Remove from the pan and place on the plate
- To the hot skillet, slowly add the lemon juice, chicken broth and capers. (This will cause the oil to foam violently).
- Bring to a simmer and add the chicken pieces to the broth for 5 minutes
- Plate the chicken pieces and then stir in 2 tbsp butter to the sauce and stir
- Drizzle the sauce over the plated chicken and garnish with the chopped parsley
- Serve hot with garlic spiced pasta