I’m really in love with this recipe and I’m calling it Asian chicken and asparagus since it is kind of a stir fry and it contains soy sauce. It is perfect for springtime when good asparagus can be found. It combines a light soy sauce reduction with nicely browned chicken breast chunks. And, the dish can be put together in about a half hour.
The chicken is also really soft and tender because of a tenderizing method I learned from Cook’s Country. And, this tenderizing method works on pork and beef also. I know that I’ve had chicken breast that has been stir fried and turns out dry and tough. The Cook’s Country tenderizing method takes care of that problem.
To keep this simple, I’ll spell out the method here on a separate recipe card.
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound chicken breast , cut into approx. 1 inch squares
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp dry sherry or rice wine
- Dissolve the baking soda in water in a shallow bowl
- Add meat and stir to coat
- Soak meat for 15 minutes and no more than 20 minutes
- Use a collander to strain off liquid and rinse under cold water
- Dry the meat with paper towels
- Rinse out the shallow bowl and dry, then mix the cornstarch with the sherry or wine
- Coat the meat pieces with the mixture and reserve until frying
Once you’ve got the tenderizing process started, it’s just a matter of cooking the asparagus in a little olive oil, then frying the meat then making the soy sauce then putting everything back together. Easy and it makes a nice light meal that you can pair with some rice. I made brown rice with browned oyster mushrooms.
Try this and you will be happy with the results. Enjoy!
Once I post this recipe (Sunday night), Mail Chimp is scheduled to sent notices at 6 am eastern time and all I can say is:
MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU!
Asian Chicken and AsparagusPrint Pin Rate
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound asparagus , bottoms snapped off then cut into 2 inch pieces*
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- small amount of lemon zest , (1/4 to 1/2 lemon, optional)
- salt and black pepper
- Using a non stick skillet or wok, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and add asparagus cooking on medium high for 3 or 4 minutes until softened,add garlic for 30 seconds then remove from heat and reserve
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and fry chicken pieces for 6 to 8 minutes until browned and cooked through, remove and reserve.
- Add broth and soy sauce and boil for 1 minute
- Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tbsp water and add to the broth and thicken.
- Put chicken and asparagus back in the pan and stir to coat.
- Add lemon juice and zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve immediately