Do you ever get the need for a hearty breakfast? No cold cereal or fruit and yogurt for me today…we’re talking cheesy hash browns bacon and eggs, baked in a heavy cast iron skillet until everything is singed and full of flavor.
This dish originated in my mind when Mary Jo bought a new mandolin for slicing vegetables. When I get something new, I’ve got to use it, know what I mean? First thing was slicing an onion to make some caramelized onion. Easy. Then grabbed a potato and made a small batch of french fries. Also easy. Finally, I tried the smallest slice and dice setting and made these matchstick potatoes that I used for the cheesy hash browns bacon and eggs dish. Now if you don’t have a mandolin to use, you can use a box grater or if you have a stand mixer with the shredder attachment, that will work too. Some food processors have a grater attachment for this. If you don’t have any of these, go buy some frozen shredded hash browns at the store and use those.
Once you grate the fresh potatoes, they need to be soaked in cold water to get some of the starch out. They’ll brown better, (this step is not necessary if using frozen potatoes). Add a teaspoon or two of lemon juice to the water too which will keep the potatoes from turning pink or brown. Rinse the potatoes well and then dry them with a dish towel or use paper towels to get them dry.
One thing that you can do to make sure that the potatoes brown up well, is to preheat the skillet at the same time that the oven is heating up. It will take 20 minutes or a little more to brown the potatoes and you need to turn them in the skillet a couple times so they don’t stick. If you are going to have bacon with the hash browns, place a couple strips on a separate baking pan and put that in the oven when you add the potatoes. The bacon should be done in 20 minutes or so.
After 20 to 24 minutes, pull the skillet out and sprinkle grated cheese over the potatoes, then crack 3 or 4 eggs on top. Put the skillet back in the oven and the egg whites should firm up in 7 or 8 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven, sprinkle with chopped up bacon and some green onion.
I’m sorry that I only got a couple of photos of this, but I has hungry and I wanted to eat it while it was still hot.
If you’re looking for a satisfying, hearty breakfast give cheesy hash browns bacon and eggs a try.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
Cheesy Hash Browns Bacon and Eggs
- 2 Idaho potatoes , (about 1 1/4 lbs.), washed and grated
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 oz . white cheddar cheese , grated, (about a cup)
- 2 slices thick cut bacon
- 3 lg. eggs
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 green onions chopped
- Preheat oven and an oven safe skillet to 375°
- Grate potatoes then soak in cold water 5 to 10 minutes, (add 1 to 2 tsp lemon juice to prevent browning), then rinse and dry well with toweling.
- Remove preheated skillet from oven, add oil, salt, and potatoes, toss to combine.
- Place in oven 20 to 24 minutes tossing potatoes one or two times to prevent sticking
- Put bacon on a baking sheet and place in oven 20 mins. or until done to your liking, then cut or crumble into pieces.
- Remove skillet from oven and sprinkle with grated cheese and crack eggs onto the potatoes
- Place back in the oven 7 or 8 minutes until the egg whites have firmed up.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped bacon and onions and black pepper
- Serve hot