Baked chicken thighs with vegetables took about 50 minutes start to finish. For a busy family, this would be a great weeknight meal.
Meal planning can be a drag…even when it is only two people eating. That’s why I like to stock up on several meat products when Mary Jo and I are at the store. That way we can look in the refrigerator or freezer and say that we have to make this tonight. or whatever. It helps you narrow down the choices you have to make. Last night it was chicken thigh night. I wasn’t planning on doing a recipe post of this, but it turned out so darned good, I had to share it.
The vegetables I used were carrots, celery, onion, and mushrooms. You might also throw in some diced potatoes or bell peppers. I chopped every thing into pieces that would bake in 40 minutes or so. I also added one of my new, favorite ingredients, Better than Bouillon seasoned vegetable base. It makes a delicious vegetable broth that has great flavor. I recommend that you get some to try if you haven’t already. Stored in the refrigerator, you’ll have it on hand when you need it. Surprisingly, it provides more flavor than chicken broth for many recipes, including when you’re cooking corned beef. We also like their mushroom base, but that’s a little harder to find sometimes.
The only seasonings I used were salt, pepper, and garlic powder, (just on the chicken). You really don’t need anything else because the vegetables provide their own great taste.
One thing that I might do the next time I make something like this, is to plan on making a gravy out of the vegetable broth. To do this, I’d use more of the broth, then add 2 tablespoons flour mixed into 1/4 cup of water, or 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with one tablespoon of cold water, per one cup of the vegetable broth. I used a ceramic baking dish, but the broth could easily be strained into a pan to make the gravy on the stovetop.
This really turned out excellent and baked chicken thighs with vegetables is a quick meal for busy families. Stock up on some meats the next time you’re at the grocery and when it becomes chicken thigh night…BAM…make this.
Baked Chicken Thighs with Vegetables
- 4 chicken thighs , bone in, skin on, 5 to 6 oz. ea. (trimmed of excess fat)
- 2 tbsp olive oil , for browning the thighs
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 5 medium sized carrots , peeled and cut into approx. 1/2" strips, 3" long
- 3 celery stalks , washed and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 10 or 12 large button mushrooms , washed and cut in half
- 2 small onions , sliced into half moons
- 1 cup vegetable broth (Better than Bouillon seasoned vegetable base is a good one, prepare according to label directions)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Chop all the vegetables and place in a large baking pan or casserole that's been sprayed with non-stick spray
- Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper, then pour in the vegetable broth, and place in the preheated oven for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder on all sides
- Using a large skillet on high heat, add the olive oil and bring up to 350°
- Place the thighs in the skillet, skin side down for 3 minutes until nicely browned, turn and brown the other side 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs to the baking pan after the vegetables have baked for 15 mins. and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken has reached 160° F internal temperature.
- (Strain the broth off into a pan if you are going to make a gravy)
- Serve hot