Fresh Homemade Strawberry Lemonade is what we’re doing for Labor Day weekend.
With the grocery stores packed with strawberries to sell…for two dollars a pound here in Minnesota, it is definitely time to make this.
If you do a Google search for strawberry lemonade, you’re going to get 2 million, 800 thousand search results, so there are just about that many recipes out there for making this. It’s not rocket science. I’ll just let you know how I made this, and then there will be 2 million, 800 thousand and 1 search results.
Making Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
I started out with 6 lemons and after squeezing them, got 1 1/3 cups of juice. To get the most juice out of them, make sure they are at room temperature or, you can do as I do, throw 3 of them at a time into the microwave and nuke them for 15 seconds. Also, roll them hard with the palm of your hand to soften them. Make sure to pick out any seeds that are in them. I used a juicer with a built-in strainer that catches the seeds and pulp. I happen to like a little pulp in the juice, so I used about half of what was produced.
For the strawberries, remove the green tops and place in a blender or food processor with about a cup of water. Blend on high speed for about a minute. I then put the strawberry juice in a strainer to strain out the coarse pulp. You will have to use a rubber spatula to work the juice through the strainer. By doing this step, you get a nice smooth drink. I did the same straining method in the raspberry coulis recipe from long ago.
Now would be a great time to mix up a batch of strawberry lemonade. This would also be a perfect mixer for an adult beverage if you are so inclined.
Fresh Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- 6 lemons at room temperature
- 1 lbs . strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar , (I used C&H Baker's superfine cane sugar because it dissolves very quickly)
- 6 cups water
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons, removing the seeds.
- Remove the green tops from the strawberries, place in a blender or food processor with 1 cup of water, and blend on high for 1 minute.
- Strain the strawberry juice using a rubber spatula to press the liquid out.
- Mix the lemon juice, strawberry juice, and remaining 5 cups of water together and add the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Store in the refrigerator.