Brussels sprouts….either you love ’em or you hate ’em. For you haters out there, perhaps all you need is a better Brussels sprouts recipe. Try spiced up roasted Brussels sprouts..*with cheese. This is not your mama’s Brussels sprouts!
Fresh Brussels sprouts are so darned cute, don’t you think? And they are packed with vitamins and nutrients. Check out the nutrition label; they have fantastic amounts of potassium (more than bananas), Vitamin C (more than an orange), lots of fiber, and I was surprised at how much protein is in them. Even with the olive oil, butter and a bit of cheese, there’s only 131 calories in a generous serving and they are tasty with just a slight bit of heat.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
The key to getting the roasted Brussels sprouts nicely browned is, using a light coating of olive oil, and a fairly hot oven. Once the Brussels sprouts are done, mix them together with the butter and hot sauce, then add a little cheese. I used manchego cheese because we have a large brick of it on hand. You could also use Parmesan, Romano, or blue cheese.
Give roasted Brussels sprouts a try next time you need a tasty side dish. I think you’ll like them. Here’s the printable recipe. Joe x
Spiced Up Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/4 lbs . Brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- vegetable oil spray
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Frank's hot sauce , (or more if you want additional heat)
- 1/2 oz . grated manchego cheese , or other cheese
- Pre heat oven to 375°.
- Cut the stem off the Brussels sprouts and cut in half lengthwise, and remove the loose outer leafs.
- Place the sprouts in a bowl and add olive oil, salt and pepper, then toss to combine.
- Spray a large sheet pan lightly with vegetable spray, then add sprouts in an even layer. (Turn most of the sprouts so that the cut side is down since this with produce a nicely browned sprout).
- Place in oven 18 to 20 minutes then check for browning.
- Turn the sprouts and roast for 5 more minutes if necessary
- While the sprouts are roasting , melt the butter and combine in a small bowl with the hot sauce.
- Remove sprouts and place back in the bowl and add melted butter and hot sauce stirring to coat evenly.
- Serve warm with grated cheese