It seems like when I’m cooking a meal that the protein is the main focus. Well I’m going to change this up and make the side dish the star of the meal. This combination of ingredients makes for a complex flavor profile and delicious taste. Green beans with pine nuts and Parmesan should be on your list of go to sides.
I took a short trip north to Steve’s Produce in Palm Harbor, Florida. Steve’s is a well stocked produce stand and they had some beautiful, fresh green beans. They looked like they were just picked, being full and blemish free. I put a couple handfuls into a plastic bag and walked up to pay…it came to $1.40 for 7/10ths of a pound. Quite a deal for veggies enough for 4 people!
I don’t use pine nuts very often and the last ones I bought got rancid, mostly because they weren’t stored properly. Due to the high fat content in the nuts, they can go bad pretty quickly. They should be stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight jar or in the freezer in a Ziplock bag. I just need to get in the habit of using them more often because they are a nice tasty crunch when combined with veggies.
Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan on medium heat, stirring them around to toast all sides. This only takes a couple minutes.
To speed this recipe up, the green beans are started in the microwave which takes the place of par boiling and shocking in ice water. I put the beans in a bowl and added 1/4 cup of water, covered the bowl with a plate and nuked the beans for 2 minutes. Then I just let them steam for another minute. Drain them and they are ready to throw into the saute pan.
Next time you want to impress someone, have some green beans with pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. This is a fantastic way to kick up your side dish.
This is a recipe from Melissa d’Arabian from Food Network Star fame. You can check out her cookbook, “Supermarket Healthy” right here.
This post contains an affiliate link.
Green Beans with Pine Nuts and Parmesan
- 3/4 lb . green beans , cleaned and trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp anchovy paste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp pine nuts , toasted
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 oz . grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Place green beans in a bowl, add about 1/4 cup of water and cover, then microwave for 2 minutes.
- Let the beans rest and steam for one more minute, then drain the water.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add olive oil, garlic, anchovy paste and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the green beans and stir to fully coat with oil, and saute for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the pine nuts and vinegar, stir in then transfer to serving dish.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese, parsley and add black pepper.