Hey, this is what we ate last night. Fresh broccoli, sweet yellow pepper, onion and lots of sliced mushrooms. Add a little hunk of beef tenderloin, and mix in some delicious spiciness and you end up with a perfect supper. This meal started when I looked in the refrigerator and saw that we had a whole big box of mushrooms that had to be used. I wanted to make something that was pretty easy to put together and decided on this spicy orange beef stir fry.
The beef I bought for this was a really tender filet and since it is just MaryJo and I who are eating, an 8 ounce filet would be enough. I could have gotten another cut of meat, but it would not compare to the tenderness of the tenderloin. It is so good and you only have to sear it for a couple minutes.
The spicy orange sauce that I made is a combination of different recipes I’ve read, adjusted to a manageable size for the two of us. Basically it is orange juice and zest, corn starch for thickening, soy sauce, (I used Bragg’s liquid aminos), rice vinegar and ground ginger. And a good amount of red pepper flakes for the nice heat. You could also make this same recipe and use chicken instead of beef.
The nutrition information includes 1 cup of brown rice in a serving, which in itself is about 220 calories. Cut that portion size down if you are on a lower calorie diet. The ingredients that I have listed, made enough for 3 generous servings. Each of these would be around 390 calories.
Give this easy and tasty spicy orange beef stir fry recipe a try. It is quite good.
Spicy Orange Beef Stir Fry
- 8 oz . beef tenderloin , thinly sliced
- 1 cup orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce , (I used Bragg's liquid aminos which has considerably less sodium)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4 to 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 yellow or red sweet pepper , sliced
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp oliveoil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, zest, corn starch, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, red pepper and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or casserole pan, heat vegetable oil on medium high and sear meat, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove meat to a plate and keep warm.
- Add olive oil to pan and add onions and yellow peppers, saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli and 1/4 cup of water, stir then cover for 3 minutes. (Add a pinch of salt and black pepper).
- Remove cover and cook out most of the remaining water, 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Whisk the orange juice mixture and add the the pan, stirring constantly until thickened and all the vegetables are coated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and fold into the vegetables.
- Adjust salt and pepper seasoning.
- Serve hot atop cooked rice.